pipe water main

Users who are viewing this thread

joejoe2100

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have no professional plumbing experience, I'm just a diy kinda guy. the white pipes/ tubes are for a sprinkler system. The valve there that is taped off with black tape was used to turn on the sprinklers to water the front lawn. The lawn has been removed and the sprinkler system is no longer used. I was thinking of removing the white pipe/tubes by first blocking the water flowing to them and then getting rid of them or maybe adding a taller outdoor faucet.

Last night I dug in there to see what I would be working with. I'm a bit surprised to see nothing but plastic tubing. In the dug hole the 2nd plastic pipe from the left has a plastic pipe coming from the street side which I am guessing is the water main? I am surprised by this because I though it would be metal. it flows up to the sprinkler system valve and to the metal pipe which goes into the house because when the red valve near the blue hose gets turned off water inside the house stops flowing. Im positive thats the water main, just surprised it is plastic and not metal.

Is it posible to replace that section of white plastic pipe that has the sprinkler valve with a metal piece. It has some kind of blue glue or leakproof liquid where it screws.. so it might not be able to be unscrewed??I dont know. Not sure if it's even possible because water would be flowing out if I unscrewed or cut it to replace with metal. Would be easier to put some protection around the white pipe that sticks out some 5 inches above the ground.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0346.jpeg
    IMG_0346.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0345.jpeg
    IMG_0345.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0348.jpeg
    IMG_0348.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 58

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes the valve above the ground turns off water going ino the house, the white plastic is usually called pvc about 99 percent of sprinkler pipe in last 50 years is white PVC in our state . And as far as I know the water mains to the houses are still run inPVC on many if not most new homes . PVC is especially easy to install for a DIY but Us in the trade have all used it in California. I doubt you would be able to solder copper So Id say allow several hours for glue to dry and get all water out of pipes.
Id say look at some you tube or go to a home center , I and others dont mind and actually want to help , but you need to learn a little and by the way there is blue stuff called PVC glue? there is blue thread tape ? and blue pipe dope ? so there is a lot to learn Dont expect you to know it all and pipe can even be cut with a hack saw so not a lot of tools or knowledge required

joejoe2100

Reaction score
yes the valve above the ground turns off water going ino the house, the white plastic is usually called pvc about 99 percent of sprinkler pipe in last 50 years is white PVC in our state . And as far as I know the water mains to the houses are still run inPVC on many if not most new homes . PVC is especially easy to install for a DIY but Us in the trade have all used it in California. I doubt you would be able to solder copper So Id say allow several hours for glue to dry and get all water out of pipes.
Id say look at some you tube or go to a home center , I and others dont mind and actually want to help , but you need to learn a little and by the way there is blue stuff called PVC glue? there is blue thread tape ? and blue pipe dope ? so there is a lot to learn Dont expect you to know it all and pipe can even be cut with a hack saw so not a lot of tools or knowledge required
no problem. guess youtube and looking up already answered forum questions it is. that you for thr reply good sir

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
no problem. guess youtube and looking up already answered forum questions it is. that you for thr reply good sir
dont mean to turn you away but its a lot to go over every single thing . like telling someone how to frame a house and they dont know what a nail is . Ill give you some tips though pvc glue and primer needs to be used and directions on can primer first then glue

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I can not recommend working even on PVC unless you learn every step of assembling a joint. Practice but know, there is a good deal of detail to do a good joint. Also, old PVC can be brittle.
In a dark crawlspace is not the place to learn.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks