How does this look

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikect05

Reaction score
Hi can I get some comments on this plumbing. I did this so I could have a back flow preventer on my laundry sink and wash machine. The 2" pvc coming from the left is from my washer trap. and the other pipe is for the laundry sink. I really had very little room because the laundry sink is so close in height to the main drain line. I had a problem in the past of water back flowing into my laundry sink and washer, and never want that agian. Also in this picture to the right is my outlet from my sewage pump from basement bathroom entering directly into the main drain line. The pex is only for temporary use. The pipe in the middle that is capped will be where all the plumbing from the upstairs bathroom tie in. It had Originally come in from the left but now I will cap that with a cleanout, this is so I have more room for the washer and dryer and can run the plumbing up above.
any comments are appreciated, just don't be too mean.
Thanks,
Mike
plumbing.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your picture is too small and will not enlarge. It appears that the washer trap is NOT vented and IS an "S" trap. I am not sure about anything else because stuff is hidden behind other stuff.

Mikect05

Reaction score
Thank you HJ, you are right the washer trap is not vented, I will add that now, do you see any other issues? I have not run the vent for the sewage pump yet either.

Attachments

• IMG-20111117-00087.jpg
    IMG-20111117-00087.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 277
Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Oh my.... Nothing, absolutely nothing there is right. I don't even know where to begin.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you rotated that picture 90º to the right....well, it still would be messed up, but it WOULD be BETTER!

Mikect05

Reaction score
Well I had to do something because I cant have crap backing back up into our laundry. I know this is not right, I struggled with this due in part with the limited space. That's why I am asking for help here.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is NO help for that system. Neither the sink or laundry has a vent, therefore, because of the backflow valve, NEITHER will drain. The pump pit also appears to not have a vent, and there does not appear to be a check valve in its discharge line. Why aren't the washer and sink draining into the pump pit? In addition, you appear to be using a "wall hung" sink and if so, because of the support panels on both sides, the drain piping will NOT fit behind it. The connection for the "upstairs" plumbing HAS TO BE with "Y" and 1/8 bend, or combo, NOT a sanitary tee, as must the laundry, and maybe the pump, connection, but we cannot see what fittings you used there.

Last edited:

Mikect05

Reaction score
Again this was done in haste as I had sewage backing up into my sink and washer. We have been using both the washer and the sink without problem until now when I have some time to tackle this. The pump pit had a studor vent attached temporarily until i could open up the wall on the first floor and run the physical vent. There is a check valve, union and a ball valve in the discharge pipe not showing in picture. The reason the sink and laundry are not draining into pit is because the inlet for the basin is on the opposite side. I am using a wall hung sink with out the support panels and instead constructed a support to run along the bottom back of sink.

I guess I had some bad advice here because I actually had a plumber I know say that it was fine, with exception of needing a vent.

If I add that vent and change all those sanitees to to Ys would that work. I know I am making the water back over in the opposite direction, but I need to have that backflow preventer in there will be no solids in these pipes.

Thanks again HJ

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You really need to tear everything out and start again. Some rules

Sanitary Tee's can not be installed for waste in the horizontal position
Check valves can only be used vertically on the discharge from a pump, never on gravity flow
All traps must be vented. Where the waste goes down and vent should go up
All trap arms must be within the distance prescribed by your state or local code
All vents must rise vertically until they 6" above the flood level rim of the highest fixture served.
Waste pipes may not be reduced in diameter in the direction of flow.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Check valves can only be used vertically on the discharge from a pump, never on gravity flow

Not true, but the check valves have a notation saying, "This side must be up for a horizontal installation". A Studor vent in a sump basin is completely ineffective, and if it was not being vented by some other way, or had a loose cover, it the bathroom would also NOT drain.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
One more time I'll say it. You are lost in Oz. You have no knowledge of what you are trying to do and even with the learned advice from the experts above, the is little chance that you will ever get this right. You need a licensed plumber to do this. You will save hours of your time and probably hundreds of dollars in wasted material and the job will meet codes. Friend, plumbing is a learned skill. Sure lots of us DIYer take on some plumbing jobs and with a little advice end up OK. But this is not a minor job for DIY. Take it from HJ when he says there is no hope for this system. I don't think he means it can't be redone, but it isn't repairable. Sorry if this seems to be harsh or rude, but that's where I see your position. You can just stick pipes and fitting together like Tinker Toys and make it satisfactory.

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
If a drain is backing up then you need to snake it not reconfigure it unless the system was not installed correctly to begin with. When you say the line was backing up do you mean when you used the washing machine/ laundry sink or when other fixtures were being used?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks