sprinklers won't turn on

Users who are viewing this thread

Emily Verstraete

Reaction score
I tried to turn on my sprinklers yesterday after they have been dormant for the winter. Only one of the three stations will turn on. What could the problem be?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
One possibility is the common wire (usually white) is broken. That wire is linked from one valve to the next, usually connected with waterproof wire nut. If the connection is lost after the first valve in the chain, #1 would work but the follow valves would not. You didn't mention which valve in the chain comes on, so this is just a stab in the dark. Waterproof wire nuts can be purchased, but regular nuts with silicone packed will work just fine too.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Go to each valve and try to turn on manually, by slightly unscrewing the solenoid one turn or so. You may have to disassemble some valves, blow out the bleed ports, maybe replace some solenoids. And of course dont rule out wiring problems as mentioned by gary

Mike1059

irrigation tech.
Reaction score
Website
www.mrhirrigation.com
As gary said the most likely cause is a bad wire connection if station 1 comes on but 2 and 3 do not. If 2 or 3 comes on and the others do not check the flow control knobs in the center of the valves. Sometimes if the knob was turned partway down a slight change in pressure will keep them from opening.

casey.robert.irving

Reaction score
Agreed

As gary said the most likely cause is a bad wire connection if station 1 comes on but 2 and 3 do not. If 2 or 3 comes on and the others do not check the flow control knobs in the center of the valves. Sometimes if the knob was turned partway down a slight change in pressure will keep them from opening.

I agree 100% with both of them.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I think Jimbo gave you very good advice by trying to operate the manually. did all 3 valve work when tried manually?

Mike1059

irrigation tech.
Reaction score
Website
www.mrhirrigation.com
If all valves open manualy and all the valves are in the same valve box it is most likely the wire connections. If they are in differant boxes it could be a broken wire.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks