(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: How would you plumb this basement bath?

Hybrid View

Default How would you plumb this basement bath?

I'm going to put in rough plumbing for a bathroom in the basement while i have the floor torn up. I drew up a diagram, i wonder how exactly you'd plumb this...the whole width of the bath is maybe 10' max. Its going to go in the corner of the basement...so here it is...this is the view from directly above, looking down at the basement floor...

I want a showerstall on the left, sink in the middle, toilet on the right...

Right now, there are no walls. I am going to put 6" stud walls up so pipes can be run through them with ease. Because we are pluming our upstairs bathroom which is directly over this one, we need to tie in the 3" drain stack from above too - it can come down the wall at the top of the picture, preferably near the current drain. Vents must go up the wall at the top of the picture. The current "trench" i have busted out of the concrete floor is indicated in the diagram - it is 25" wide. The lav drain spot should actually be in the wall i imagine...1.5" lav drain, 2" shower, 3" or 4" toilet...

The current drain runs at about a 60/120 degree angle to the wall...it is 4" clay...i wanted to use a donut in it, reduce it to 3" pvc for the whole bathroom...but am open to other ideas...

So, how would you connect the dots?

I could probably enlarge the trench if needed...

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

You had better use some thought if you start cutting that much concrete slab away from the outer wall, as the slab is the only thing holding the bottom of the wall on the footing. When the ground gets saturated with water outside, that wall can get pushed inward off the footing and collapse. There are a lot of depending factors, but it does happen and it is a very bad thing.

As for the plumbing, I would run a main line from the toilet to the clay pipe and then run branch drains for the lav and shower at 90 degree angles into the new main line, attaching with combos. The lav drain and vent stack will come up inside the wall. The shower vent will come up inside the wall of the shower alcove.

The new main will need to attach to the clay with a wye also. I have never worked with clay, nor do I ever hope to, so I cannot help you there.

The fly in the ointment is the vent. How do you plan to get a vent up to the roof!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    The fly in the ointment is the vent. How do you plan to get a vent up to the roof!
    Actually the room right above this area is also demolished right now, so i can easily run a vent up that "top" wall (in the picture), up the wall in the room above (nothing at all in that wall aside from one window to avoid) and up into the attic.

My main question is, how do i vent the shower and the toilet? I'm used to a shower ptrap then drain arm going into a sanitee and the top of the sanitee going up a wall...i don't see how that's possible here...

I understand what cacher is saying, and i think the lav drain will wet vent the toilet...but i'm not sure how to vent the shower...

...that, and getting both the stack from first floor bathroom, and the new main line into the clay line...

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

The shower vent comes off the trap arm with a wye and 45 up into the wall of the shower alcove.

My problem is that the main line actually will run under the shower...so its kind of hard to jam all that in there...if the ptrap heads towards the top wall, it would cross through the new main line...if it heads towards the left wall it would cross the clay line...this would all be easier if the old clay main line wasn't running under the new shower area...

...i guess i'll have to buy a bunch of parts, nail down some absolute locations for the fixtures/drains, and have at it...i'll post a diagram when i figure out what i think'll work and you guys can review it...

I can wet vent the toilet with a 2" line for the lav, right?