Air leak in tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

LarryW

Reaction score
Pump was cycleing every 10 to 15 seconds from 30 to 50 psi. with water running. Have above ground F&W Convertable 3/4 hp jet pump 2 pipe at 36 feet. Drained tank of all water and pressure gauge and air gauge showed 0 pressure. Added 28 psi to tank and now runs good. Is this a slow leak or should I replace 20 yr old tank. No water out of shrader valve.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum Larry.

Indiana is nice country.

I hope You survived the bad weather.

Do you have a cap, on the valve ?

Air will leak where water will not.

DonL

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Drain the tank and check the air again in a few days. Think of a tank bladder as a sort of heavy duty balloon. If you blow up a balloon it will eventually go flat.

Bladder tanks should be drained and air adjusted at least once a year IMO.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
Bladder tanks should be drained and air adjusted at least once a year IMO.

I feel the same way. the better quality the tank, the longer it seems to keep its correct air... granted in theory a proper tank should keep correct air, but for those of us that look at them every day.. we know it doesn't quite work that way. draining/adjusting once a year is an excellent rule to go by with bladder/diaphragm tanks.

..and keep a good cap on that schrader valve.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks