220/110

Users who are viewing this thread

The1moe

Reaction score
I have a 1hp well that pushes the water to my 1hp house jetpump.... the well pump is hooked up to 220V.... a tech recently told me I should switch my jetpump (which is currently set for 220V) from 220 back to 110V... He says it will be easier on the pump, plus save electricity.... curiousity was aroused... I went to Home Depot, plumbing dept and was advised to leave it at 220V , because is it easier on the pump and will require less electricity..... got to laugh about it.... your thoughts please...

Thatguy

Homeowner
Reaction score
For the same 1 hp 110v will pull twice the current which means 4x the [almost negligible] power loss in the connecting cables. Watt-hours of energy used are slightly higher for 110v. At 220v the pump won't get as hot-which means longer life-but if your guy can supply references that back up his statements I'd like to see them.

Last edited:

The1moe

Reaction score
Thanks Guys much appreciated.... only one way to learn, and that is to ask questions...

Estrogen Hostage

Reaction score
I have a 1hp well that pushes the water to my 1hp house jetpump.... the well pump is hooked up to 220V.... a tech recently told me I should switch my jetpump (which is currently set for 220V) from 220 back to 110V... He says it will be easier on the pump, plus save electricity.... curiousity was aroused... I went to Home Depot, plumbing dept and was advised to leave it at 220V , because is it easier on the pump and will require less electricity..... got to laugh about it.... your thoughts please...

You need a new tech. This guy is an idiot.

In an ideal situation the motor will behave the same on both voltages. Practically (and especially with long wire lengths) there will be half the current in the wire at 220v and lower voltage drop, which is good for the motor. The only downside is running the well off a generator, and that most generators have 220v outputs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks