Empty Refillable Canisters

Users who are viewing this thread

Melkus

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a refillable canisters for like there activated carbon filter. Would seem cheaper in the long run to just buy the media and refill when needed. I use a 20 x 4 1/2 filter after my softener which is good for about 5 months cost for the filter is $42.00. Just wondering if anyone try this before and has any input on one vs the other.

big dripper

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a refillable canisters for like there activated carbon filter. Would seem cheaper in the long run to just buy the media and refill when needed. I use a 20 x 4 1/2 filter after my softener which is good for about 5 months cost for the filter is $42.00. Just wondering if anyone try this before and has any input on one vs the other.

I use them in my home and for numerous customers that want to be a quasi-DIYer. It is cheaper in a short time. Becareful to use quality media and sanitize between fillings. Make sure the small sediment pads are still in good order. You can get them in 20" sumps and Big Blue configurations as well.

Typical use is for carbon is the most common medium but other media can be used such as Calcite, KDF, as well as certian multi-media combinations layered. They are very nice for additional RO pre- and post-filteration.

Last edited:

Melkus

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. This makes me think about something and not sure it would help or not. My ph is a bit on the low side (I have well water) last check it show 6.2 and I was wondering if I use one of these refillable canisters and fill it with Calacite or a blend (Calacite/Corosex) would it be worth try to bring the ph up some ? also if I did would I put this before or after my sediment filter? the way thing are plumb right now is, Sediment , Softener, Carbon filter. Thanks for all the help.

big dripper

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. This makes me think about something and not sure it would help or not. My ph is a bit on the low side (I have well water) last check it show 6.2 and I was wondering if I use one of these refillable canisters and fill it with Calacite or a blend (Calacite/Corosex) would it be worth try to bring the ph up some ? also if I did would I put this before or after my sediment filter? the way thing are plumb right now is, Sediment , Softener, Carbon filter. Thanks for all the help.

In short, NO! That small amount of Calcite, or any mixture, would have negligible effect on raising pH for whole house purposes. Water flow would be way too fast and contact time way to short. A Calcite filter like that may be acceptable following an RO to raise pH slightly for a number of applcations.

Melkus

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Looks like if I want to get the ph up around 7 then I need to buy a Acid Neutralizer. Well check out the cost for this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks