pipe size /max length of run for kitchen, Canada Code

Users who are viewing this thread

Philbert

Reaction score
hello
I have been asked to rough in a new kitchen, it has 1 double sink and a dishwasher beside it, the soil pipe is 25 to 30 feet away, I don't want to run 3 inch all the way if it isnt needed , thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Even IF 1 1/2" would be approved, there is no way I would EVER use it for anything other than a vent. I ALWAYS use 2" minimum for my drain lines.

Philbert

Reaction score
the problem I am having is that if I seach online for a quote from the npc I get a vague reference to some "complicated table" in the plumbing code book which I can acces online unless I pay for it or order a copy of the code book for a price of course,if ther is no restriction all the better, although I will likely use 2 inch anyways, ohhh the 25 to 30 foot run is a sloped run not a drop ifin that changes anything

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is not a "complicated table" at least not in the books down here. Each fixture is desinated by a number which correlates to how much water is likely to go in it. The number is called "fixture units". In the UPC, a kitchen sink is 2 FU. By the simple table, the maximum # of FU on a horizontal 1½" pipe, beyond the trap arm, is ONE. So the sink needs to drain into a 2" lateral. The horizontal length ( with 1/4" per foot slope minimum) is unlimited.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
hello
I have been asked to rough in a new kitchen, it has 1 double sink and a dishwasher beside it, the soil pipe is 25 to 30 feet away, I don't want to run 3 inch all the way if it isnt needed , thanks

1.5" is perfectly acceptable as long as you pick up your vent within 6'.

I usually have a 1.5" fixture drain picked up by a 2x1.5x1.5" tee.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I haven't seen 1.5 for kitchens since the 50's in the lower 48, not Canada though.

Here we use a 2" waste line until the vent, and then a 1.5" trap arm. we are allowed 42" for the 1-1/2" trap arm.

I guess the Canadian code for kitchen plumbing is pretty weak.

Last edited:

Plumber1979

Certified Plumber
Reaction score
im a plumber here in Ontario and its just fine to use 1 1/2 on a kitchen and it 5' for the vent

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
1-1/2" is fine. trap arm max is 5' (1.5m). cleanout required on fixture drain or union p-trap. cleanouts every 20' (6m).. you'll want to make sure your slope is right to keep a kitchen sink line that long, clear of grease etc.
secondly NPC is not what you need. you need to refer to the Ontario Building Code section 7 - Plumbing

Ontario Plumber

Plumber
Reaction score
1.5" is permitted by code providing the vent is connected within 5ft and there is a clean out every 6m. Personally with it being a kitchen drain which is subject to grease build up, I would use 2" with cleanout every 6m.

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
the problem I am having is that if I seach online for a quote from the npc I get a vague reference to some "complicated table" in the plumbing code book which I can acces online unless I pay for it or order a copy of the code book for a price of course,if ther is no restriction all the better, although I will likely use 2 inch anyways, ohhh the 25 to 30 foot run is a sloped run not a drop ifin that changes anything

your posts suggest that your reply to the request of the customer should have been " I don't know plumbing - perhaps you should consult a plumber "

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

The code is a "minimum standard", and I do not know any "competent" plumber who has ever had to snake a sink drain who would use less than 2". With 3" you run into the problem of NO "self scouring" because the velocity is too slow. Use 2"!!!!!!