(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: well issues... HELP!!!

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default well issues... HELP!!!

I have a 340 foot deep well with a 1 hp red jacket submersible pump newly installed in 300 foot down. Originally, there was 5 hp myers submersible pump placed 320 foot down, however, this was supplying several homes- this pump no longer works. This well is on my property and all that was using this pump have dug their own well. I had a well guy come out to tell me what size pump I would need to supply only my home. He said a 1 hp pump should be sufficient so I bought a red jacket 1 hp pump. This pump was set 300 foot down into the 340 foot well and new electric was run to service just my home (it was originally on a separate electric pole just for the pump). All new lines were ran through the well to the holding tank and all new electrically wire were placed.

Once electric was connected, we tested the pump to check the pressure in the house. The pressure was good. After one evening of use- the next morning we had good pressure and it gradually sloped off to almost nothing!!!! It seems to have a lot of air in lines and spit and sputters til it is to a drizzle....

I've checked the lines under the house for a leak and found nothing. The holding tank is registering 100 psi but yet I have no pressure in the house.

What can be the issue???

Thanks for in advance for any answers or solutions to my problem....

First off make sure the pressure gauge is good though I bet it's not.

Then, you either have a leak between the well and the tank or the pump is pulling the well down. If you shut if off for a few hours does it come back?
    Perception is 3/4 of reality

Blog Entries

I was thinking the gauge was bad. I will replace it. I can shut the water off and wait a few MINUTES and it will come back but I do get air in the lines- it spits, sputters and gurgles then good flow then spits and sputters then good flow till it run to almost a drizzle. I was thinking leak too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Hays View Post
    First off make sure the pressure gauge is good though I bet it's not.

Then, you either have a leak between the well and the tank or the pump is pulling the well down. If you shut if off for a few hours does it come back?
    If in fact we are pulling the well down....then what would be our next step??

Well, you may be able to set the pump a bit deeper. You didn't say what diameter your well case is but it it's an 8" case the extra 30 or so feet you drop the pump will give you some more reserve. Ultimately though you probably want a driller out there to run some tests for static and recovery. From what you are telling us it sure sounds as though the pump is pumping the well down
    Perception is 3/4 of reality

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Hays View Post
    Well, you may be able to set the pump a bit deeper. You didn't say what diameter your well case is but it it's an 8" case the extra 30 or so feet you drop the pump will give you some more reserve. Ultimately though you probably want a driller out there to run some tests for static and recovery. From what you are telling us it sure sounds as though the pump is pumping the well down
    The diameter of the well case is 6". We have not buried the wire yet and actually have another 50ft of it so we could set it deeper and more piping just in case we needed it. It wouldn't be hard at all to drop it another 30 ft. I will definetly get ahold of the well guy too.

General Engineering Contractor ballvalve's Avatar

I wonder why a 5hp pump supplied seven houses and a 1hp wont keep up with 1 house?.... but set it much lower. Find out the recovery and restrict the output to match.