Correcting pressure loss due to friction

Users who are viewing this thread

Enrico

Reaction score
I believe I have a pressure drop due to insufficient pipe size across my new home. I rule out scale b/c of the age. The side of the house where the supply enters maintains pressure regardless if the far side's faucets are open. But if the supply side faucets of the house are on, there is only 10 psi on the far side. The non-flow pressure of the house is 45 psi. If I add a booster pump, will it help the far side of the house when the supply side is open?

Msgale

Reaction score
are you sure all the valves are fully open? if one of your shut off valves is only partially open ,youwould have full pressure when no flow, and reduced pressure when flowing.
it is also easeir to open a valve than to replace pipe!

Jastori

Reaction score
Do you have any details about existing pipe sizing and material used? Can you see any of the piping exposed in basement / attic? What are the distances involved? Number of bathrooms? Size of the meter and size of the supply pipe where it first enters the house?

If the piping is undersized, it may be preferable to run some new lines at the larger size rather than trying to solve the problem with a booster pump.

Enrico

Reaction score
The home is built on a concrete foundation and the plumbing is in the slab so re-piping the home is not an option. Making matters worse is the hot water heater is on the non-supply side of the home and the master bath is on the supply side. That means the hot water has to make a round trip. I don't know enough about the physics. My fear is even with the booster pump if both bathrooms (one on each side of the home) are running only the supply side will see the increase pressure. Is this true?

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
How old is the house and what type of pipe do you have?

John

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
To have a 35 PSI drop in 1/2 " copper would require something like 10 gallons per minute across 250' of pipe. I suspect you are losing pressre right at the PRV, and it is them more noticeable at the farther locations. What is the house pressure at the near end when taps are open?

Enrico

Reaction score
the house is two years old, 3/4 cpvc. The supply from the street was 1" then reduce to the 3/4 when entering the slab

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pump

If the pressure at the source does not change, then adding a booster pump will not make any difference. If the pipes deliver inadequate flow, putting the pump at the far side will "starve" it and it will fail very quickly. The ONLY solution is to change the pipes. If they are under concrete, the pipes themselves could have been damaged, such as being kinked, so that they cannot deliver the water they were designed for.

Enrico

Reaction score
water pressure on near side is about 45 psi. flow is around 6 gal/min on the far side is 2 gal/min

Enrico

Reaction score
If the pressure at the source does not change, then adding a booster pump will not make any difference. If the pipes deliver inadequate flow, putting the pump at the far side will "starve" it and it will fail very quickly. The ONLY solution is to change the pipes. If they are under concrete, the pipes themselves could have been damaged, such as being kinked, so that they cannot deliver the water they were designed for.

Can I put a pump at the entrance of the slab to increase pressure to 60 psi? will that help? Sorry if I misundertood your reply

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Losing that much pressure with 2 gpm flow is just ridculous. I suspect a problem which a pump will not fix. A good leak detection company may be able to find the restricion point with their ultrasonic equipment. By the way....are both hot and cold water affected, or only one??

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks