(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Threadless coupling for galvanized pipe

Default Threadless coupling for galvanized pipe

Do they make a threadless coupling for galvanized pipe?? I had a situation where we had to cut the pipe, but no threads. and it would be WHOLE lot easier to just couple it on there, without haveing to go all the way back to the thread. This is in concrete by way.

Previous member

If it's drain or vent you can use a mission coupling.

Default pipe

They make them, but I would NEVER use one if it is going to covered with concrete, if it is a water pipe. Drain lines have a few threadless options.

you might be able to use a brass compression coupling but i would not install it under concrete.

why not just make new threads on the pipe? i do that when the customer doesnt want the cost of a complete new line. you should be able to rent a die and handle

this is not a drain, its for a water supply line, that would be under water pressure. Now about not threading it again, this is in concrete we had to jack hammer out. Theres not much room to thread unless wwe jack hammer more. Thats a alot, and I want to avoid that if I can, and just repair it there.
    Last edited by brother; 12-17-2009 at 05:32 PM.

There are "dresser couplings" make specifically for pressure pipe and It can be used underground.

Google "dresser coupling", I know they are available in Canada, but not very sure where it might be available in the US

Its like an oversized compression coupling using rubber rings instead of brass rings

Journeyman & Gas Fitter Doherty Plumbing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krow View Post
    There are "dresser couplings" make specifically for pressure pipe and It can be used underground.

Google "dresser coupling", I know they are available in Canada, but not very sure where it might be available in the US

Its like an oversized compression coupling using rubber rings instead of brass rings
    Heh I opened this thread just to bring up these couplings! I have used them before I would have no trouble using them again in a pinch.

As long as you can make a good seal on the old pipe you'll be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Doherty Plumbing View Post
    Heh I opened this thread just to bring up these couplings! I have used them before I would have no trouble using them again in a pinch.

As long as you can make a good seal on the old pipe you'll be just fine.
    Is this what your talking about??

http://hubpages.com/hub/HowToRepaira...esserCouplings

Do not use the ones sold at the big box stores...they will rust out in a year or so...they sell dresser couplings at supply houses that meet code requirements...