Galvanized pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Lappo424

Reaction score
So nothing is leaking and I'm kinda new at this stuff.

The pipe coming from the wall is threaded. I assume it's galvanized steel. When I have to switch the shut off do I just unthread the old one?
Do they still make shut offs like that?

Also I will be very careful and try not to damage the pipe coming from the wall but that's threaded too. Should I replace that as well.

Attachments

• pipe.pdf
    669.6 KB · Views: 63

Reach4

Reaction score
They certainly make valves for that.

When faced with a galvanized nipple, I turned the nipple CCW, and it unscrewed in the wall. I think I lucked out. I put in brass. I later replaced that with PEX, because I got into replacing some galvanized with PEX.

Lappo424

Reaction score
So when the time comes to change it would you just change the angle stop and not the pipe?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
No you need to change that pipe. Someone used black iron. Change it to brass. Also remove the escutcheon at the ceiling and make sure what your attaching to is either brass or copper.

Lappo424

Reaction score
No you need to change that pipe. Someone used black iron. Change it to brass. Also remove the escutcheon at the ceiling and make sure what your attaching to is either brass or copper.
Could I disconnect the pipe and you a male sharkbite brass adapter. Then use copper or PEX from the wall to the new shut off

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could, but that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that whatever that black pipe is threded into needs to be checked.

The black pipe needs to go. You can replace it with a brass nipple as long as there's brass or copper in the wall.

Lappo424

Reaction score
You could, but that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that whatever that black pipe is threded into needs to be checked.

The black pipe needs to go. You can replace it with a brass nipple as long as there's brass or copper in the wall.
Got it. Here is a better picture of the pipe. When I made it a pdf it made it look black.

If its galvanized I still couldn't use a brass fitting?

Reach4

Reaction score
Could I disconnect the pipe and you a male sharkbite brass adapter. Then use copper or PEX from the wall to the new shut off
Sharkbite push-on adapters do not work on galvanized.

You can screw brass fittings into or onto galvanized.

As part of whatever you do, you will put on a new escutcheon. Those can be plastic.

You can distinguish brass from galvanized with a magnet.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
OK it now looks to be chromed brass. You should be good to just replace the valve with a quarter turn ball valve type stop.

Lappo424

Reaction score
Sharkbite push-on adapters do not work on galvanized.

You can screw brass fittings into or onto galvanized.

As part of whatever you do, you will put on a new escutcheon. Those can be plastic.

You can distinguish brass from galvanized with a magnet.
What about the brass SharkBite adapter? (for future reference)

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Im not assuming the type metal of the nipple it could have been painted ? Angle stop change as needed I wouldnt randomly replace it if it works unless I had work planned on the toilet

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
ok change it out but if you arent very handy you might want to avoid it on a holiday as a plumber might be harder or pricey today. the picture isnt conclusive to me but good chance its wrong
If its black iron it has no buisness in the water system . Im not clear whether you are looking for jobs to do around the house or if your angle stop is bad?

Lappo424

Reaction score
ok change it out but if you arent very handy you might want to avoid it on a holiday as a plumber might be harder or pricey today. the picture isnt conclusive to me but good chance its wrong
If its black iron it has no buisness in the water system . Im not clear whether you are looking for jobs to do around the house or if your angle stop is bad?
I was more curious than anything. Nothing is leaking so I'm not going to touch it

Reach4

Reaction score
What about the brass SharkBite adapter? (for future reference)
You can thread the threaded part of a Sharkbite adapter to galvanized. But you cannot not the push-on part onto galvanized, at least you are not supposed to. There is a push-on adapter that is made to go onto iron-pipe-sized PVC, but you are not supposed to use it on Galvanized.

What would you be trying to accomplish?

Did you try the magnet thing?

Lappo424

Reaction score
You can thread the threaded part of a Sharkbite adapter to galvanized. But you cannot not the push-on part onto galvanized, at least you are not supposed to. There is a push-on adapter that is made to go onto iron-pipe-sized PVC, but you are not supposed to use it on Galvanized.

What would you be trying to accomplish?

Did you try the magnet thing?
I did it and it wouldn't stick. Further up is a link to a better pic.

I was just wondering what to do when it will leak

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I get it planning ahead for when work is needed I guess its brass if magnet wouldnt stick

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks