Cannot thread Cap onto galvanized/iron pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

Double J

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am trying to cap a galvanized steel pipe tee to stop a leak. Unfortunately, a pipe was cut off and ruined the threads on the tee. I cannot thread the cap on it. Can you please help how to resolve this matter?

1. Can the threaded piece be taken out of the tee and then capped with some piece? If so, what part will I need?
2. Should I repair the thread and then attach the 1 1/2 inch galvanized cap that I already have?

Please let me know the easiest solution to this and what tools/parts I will need?

Please see link for pictures and video of the problem at hand.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you could put a jim cap on it with silicone as a temporary, or an 1 1/2" dollar plug ill let you google those 2 names and youll see how simple it is

Double J

Reaction score
Is the threaded area part of the tee or can that be unscrewed from the tee?

If the threaded area can be removed from the tee then I would want to install a plug inside the top of the tee.

Is that the easier way?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Easier than slipping a rubber cap over and tighten w screwdriver? I dont think so. You start pulling on a pipe wrench nipple crushes then youve got a bigger fix. 5 minute job there at most

Double J

Reaction score
Easier than slipping a rubber cap over and tighten w screwdriver? I dont think so. You start pulling on a pipe wrench nipple crushes then youve got a bigger fix. 5 minute job there at most

Jim Caps and Dollar Plugs are not available in Canada. I can see them easily available at Home Depot in the US but not in Canada.

Can you please provide me with another easy solution.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
no hub coupling and a no hub blind plug that plug is eaxpensive though . or use a short piece of plastic with a cap glued on and I would just use a no hub coupling with that unless youve got inspection they could get pushy over a no hub and want to see a shielded cast iron to plastic coupling.

Reach4

Reaction score
Last edited:

Double J

Reaction score

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Is the threaded part in my picture a close nipple? Do you think I can remove that nipple from the tee?

Also, can you tell if the tee is made of brass or galvanized steel? What is the nipple made of?

Why do you care what the nipple is made of??? its metal duhhh...
You are asking a bunch of fool questions......
maybe you should call a plumber

Just go get a 1 1/2 fernco cap at Lowes,
and grease up the pipe threads with a liberal amount of
pipe dope and then put the cap on the nipple and crank down the clamp....

it will work.... it has to work
it cannot not work... its got to work...

black-fernco-pvc-fittings-pqc-102-64_145.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
You could distinguish brass from steel with a magnet.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is ZERO chance of removing the nipple from the tee in a manner that is Easy..

The easiest way to repair that would be to cut out that steel tee. Use a Fernco adapter to replace the tee with an ABS version and connect that back up similar to how it was.

1696964615183.png

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is the threaded part in my picture a close nipple? Do you think I can remove that nipple from the tee?

Also, can you tell if the tee is made of brass or galvanized steel? What is the nipple made of?

Why do you care what the nipple is made of??? its metal duhhh...
You are asking a bunch of fool questions......
maybe you should call a plumber

Just go get a 1 1/2 fernco cap at Lowes,
and grease up the pipe threads with a liberal amount of
pipe dope and then put the cap on the nipple and crank down the clamp....

it will work.... it has to work
it cannot not work... its got to work...

black-fernco-pvc-fittings-pqc-102-64_145.jpg
Told him that already he says canada dosent have jim caps

Double J

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I got an update.

I was able to find a 1 1/2 inch Jim Cap. They are just called flexible pipe caps in Canada.

I installed the Jim Cap in 5 minutes and it stopped the overflow/leak immediately. However, it has now caused a new problem.

The shower drain going into the tee is now leaking/dripping water where the Teflon tape is.

Can you please help on how to stop the drip coming out where the plastic pipe meets the metal tee?

Looking to stop the leak without having to do any cutting or to replace the part.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Please click the link to see updated photos/videos.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The initial problem is overflowing water from an open pipe.

Fix the open pipe by removing the tee as I described above with new ABS.

Secondary problem is that the open pipe only allows water out because the main drain downstream is clogged.

You need to clear the clog.

Double J

Reaction score
I spoke with the guy at Home Depot and he recommended Flex Seal which is a product that creates a waterproof seal. He said to either take the spray version or the paste version and apply it around the joint when its fully dry.

Do you guys agree with this solution?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks