Code issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob Smith

Reaction score
I read somewhere that according to the plumbing code, a person must be a licensed plumber to break a trap-seal in a commercial building, unless you work directly for that building as a maintenance person. In other words, a commercial building owner could hire a handyman to replace a showerhead or a faucet, but that handyman couldn’t replace a toilet or P-trap because he would be breaking a trap-seal and only a licensed plumber could do that. Could someone shed some light on this issue for me and also give me the code section where I can find it? Thanks!!

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I read somewhere that according to the plumbing code, a person must be a licensed plumber to break a trap-seal in a commercial building, unless you work directly for that building as a maintenance person. In other words, a commercial building owner could hire a handyman to replace a showerhead or a faucet, but that handyman couldn’t replace a toilet or P-trap because he would be breaking a trap-seal and only a licensed plumber could do that. Could someone shed some light on this issue for me and also give me the code section where I can find it? Thanks!!

The said handyman can not even replace a faucet or shower head. Most codes will allow a home owner, or handy man to make minor repairs. But here is the definition of a "minor repair" in the plumbing code books.

"Minor Repairs": Repairs that do not require changes in the piping to or from plumbing fixtures or involve the removal, replacement, installation or reinstallation of any pipe or plumbing fixture.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Thanks ... which code, UPC or IPC and what section/paragraph etc. did you get that quote from?

Illinois Plumbing Code

TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER r: WATER AND SEWAGE
PART 890 ILLINOIS PLUMBING CODE

Section 890.120 Definitions

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
a commercial building owner could hire a handyman to replace a showerhead or a faucet, but that handyman couldn’t replace a toilet or P-trap because he would be breaking a trap-seal and only a licensed plumber could do that. Could someone shed some light on this issue for me and also give me the code section where I can find it? Thanks!!

Sure.

What state and code are you governed by? Every state has differant codes and amendments to that code. Plus additional laws on who can touch the plumbing period.

Last edited:

Bob Smith

Reaction score
code section

do you know which code, UPC or IPC, and which section, pararaph, etc. for that quote?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
code

Here, the licensing board has jurisdiction and says that a license is NOT required IF the TOTAL price for ALL work by ALL trades for the project does not exceed $700.00, AND the task did NOT require a permit and inspection. They cannot break the task down into several different steps with each one costing less than $700.00. That is the requirement, but it is more often ignored, because the handymen are advertising water heater replacements and water system repiping, both of which cost more tha $700.00 and both require permits and inspections.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
do you know which code, UPC or IPC, and which section, pararaph, etc. for that quote?

That quote came from the Illinois Plumbing Code and I posted the section it came from. Illinois wrote its own code, it does not follow just one code like the UPC or the IPC. They built it to what they feel the minimum plumbing requirements need to be in Illinois. Then the counties, cities, townships can make the code stricter than the Illinois code.

Bob Smith

Reaction score
California

Sure.

What state and code are you governed by? Every state has differant codes and amendments to that code. Plus additional laws on who can touch the plumbing period.

California ... I know every place makes thier own changes to the model codes. does anyone know what section of the model code talks about this issue?
Thanks for everyones help

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
California 2007 Plumbing code. Due to length...I will not quote in the entirety, but here is the summary:

108.4.1 Permits required for construction, reconstruction, alteration;

exceptions: appendix 1. 103.1.2
Not required for repairs or unclogging of drains and vents UNLESS such pipe becomes defecective and must be replaced with new material
Not required to remove/replace toilet for drain work.
Not required to repair leaks in pipes, valves, fixtures providing such repairs do not require replacement or rearrangement of such.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks