Is a 1950s rough-in code compliant for a new bathroom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Here is a tricky one.

The basement in my 1950s house has what looks like a rough installed for a toilet, a shower/bath and a sink when it was built. All cast iron waste.

If I were to finish my basement, and a plumber were to install a 1/2 bath in this section of the house could he use these or might there be a problem with code requiring the whole lot to be dug up?

I know codes have changed over time, so what applies in a situation like this?

Pictures to follow but in the meantime hunches on what you may have seen elsewhere would be welcome.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks. I will post the pic later.

The sink looks properly vented. The tub drain and the lav are near the main stack but do not appear to have their own individual vents.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I would suspect that you might be OK if you only had to connect fixtures.
Typically, when we permit a remodel there is usually a $$ figure or % figure assigned to the original building where the whole building or area needs to be brought up to current codes.

Of course areas differ and the only one who could answer completely is your AHJ.

I worked on a remodel for a 7 story condo that had hurricane damage (Charley). There was a lot of water damage but due to it's age parts of the building had to be completely redone, existing asbestos had to be removed and so forth. The sanitary plumbing was being upgraded and originally was just replacing the CI with PVC. The way the building was laid out it had back to back water closets about 6" from the main stack. The original code OK'd it but current code didn't (had to be greater than 18" from the stack). The problem was to keep the toilets in the same place the plumber would have to use a double wye to pick up the toilets, but we couldn't do it because it would require dropping the ceiling height in the units below. We couldn't do that because the ceiling heights in the bathrooms were already at 7'. Couldnt repipe it differently again because of the ceiling height issue again and if we piped it differently then all the systems would have to be brought up to current code (2001 at the time). Ended up having to get a variance from the city to make everything work and in the process the major inspector/plans reviewer was demoted for being such an ass.

Long story short, it's up the AHJ and be careful of what can you may be opening.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
bath

Normally, unless the system had been installed to a very minimum standard, it will be compliant to today's codes. And as a matter of fact, today's codes are often more lenient than the former ones. When you retire become a "union industrial plumber". They have figured out how to show up in the morning and then disappear for eight hours.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks