Toilet vent question

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnDavid

Reaction score
Looks like the only way I can vent my toilet is through the short wall I will build beside the toilet to close it off a bit from the vanities. (The wall behind it will be a pocket door and the wall on the other side is an external wall with major header at top.) The wall won't be built until after the underground work is approved. Two questions:

1) To vent vertically through the wall, can you use a tee fitting and run the two inch pipe vertically, or should a wye be used?

2) Any unique tricks to building a wall around a vertical 2" pipe?

Thank you,

John

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
1). You cannot come off a horizotal branch using a tee for vent. It must be a wye, and it must be rolled up 45º, so that the vent takeoff is above the waterline, so to speak.

2) 2" pipe fits nicely inside 2X4 walls.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
hold up here. You can use a san tee horizontally if the branch is dry (nothing else drains into it) at least under the IPC code anyway. The vent only needs to be 1 1/2" also and furthermore if you are plumbing under IPC code they vent can be an unlimited distance from the toilet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks