Max vent distance for toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

turbosonly

Reaction score
This is my first post. However, I have been watching for years. Thank you for all the help.

I have ripped out the master bath built in 1996. It is being redesigned. The water closet is being moved. The picture shows an outline of the 3x5' space. (The drain and supply in the wall will be moved). The bold lines mark a 3" pipe. The question I have is regarding the venting of the toilet. Would it be adequate to vent through the same 3" line going to the stack in the wall, about 10' away. Or, should I put a vent in the wall behind the toilet. One reason I am asking is because the toilet is an electrically operated bidet type which i believe uses pressure rather than siphon to flush.
Screenshot_20240218_222443_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240218_222443_Gallery.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Under UPC, the distance for a toilet vent is unlimited. But you still need to have venting before that waste joins non-bathroom waste. Typically the toilet is wet-vented by joining the lavatory waste with the toilet waste.

I say that without getting any info from your photos. Your photos may be trying to tell as story that I don't get.

turbosonly

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. The double bold line with the 4' under it is the existing 3" waste line servicing the bathroom. It goes another 18-24" past the wall where you see the void. There it tees for wet and vent to atmosphere. The proposed 6' long section of 3" pipe coming from the toilet goes straight into that 3" waste line. there is nothing after it. It won't join any non-bathroom waste. Attached is a diagram showing the existing waste lines in black and proposed in green. BTW, there is another 2" vent between the sink drain and old toilet drain at the bottom of the diagram. Would this be circuit venting? The bottom line is whether or not there needs to be a vent installed behind the toilet.

Attachments

• 2024-02-19 22_14_32-Master Bath RD8 legacy waste.indd @ 75%.png
    2024-02-19 22_14_32-Master Bath RD8 legacy waste.indd @ 75%.png
    188.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks