Venting Outdoor Grease Trap - Trapzilla!

Users who are viewing this thread

Chesterbrook

Reaction score
I am looking at having an outdoor grease trap installed in a parking lot. The installation instructions specify a vent be installed at inlet and outlet, as well a recommend the vessel is vented. These vents would be 2".

This seems like a lot of vents since this will be installed with a manhole cover on top.

The parking lot is in front of the building. I've attached a photo of the area that we've excavated above the lateral where the interceptor would be installed.

My thought is to combine the vents into one 2" pipe and run it vertical next to the building. This is cleanest solution I can imagine. I don't like the idea of doing this right next to the building but we cannot leave an exposed pipe in a parking area / walkway.

1. If you were doing this would you just bring up the vent from the concrete or maybe do a very short stub and connect the rest of the vertical with a fernco? I'm worried this is going to get knocked and need repairs.

2. Would you bring this up next to the building OR a few inches out and use a hanger mounted on the wall? I don;t want to impede access to the masonry for future work.

Been reading this community for years and have gotten much good guidance. Thanks for reading and relying.

Attachments

• IMG_1263.jpeg
    IMG_1263.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 21

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Id put it on unistrut against wall with a no hub band a foot off ground for removal . how high and termination Id have to think a bit more about might have to go all the way up

Chesterbrook

Reaction score
In case there are fellow grease trap enthusiasts here - the manufacturer has told me that the vessel should be vented indoors for odor, otherwise just the outlet is vented. I was mistake in thinking they specified a vent on inlet and outlet.

Although they have an install drawing showing a vent at grade doing this in parking lot/walkway makes me nervous.

Plan is to tie vessel and outlet vents together and run next to building, supported with unistrut. Jeff, agree the fernco is a good idea. Might see if we can get approval to have a sheet metal guy make up a faux getter to hide this thing. Otherwise the vent is getting sprayed with Krylon.
Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 8.54.44 PM.png

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Big outdoor grease interceptors are all the rage here in the Bay Area. I'm concurring with Jeff H Young. I'd use thin unistrut up the side.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Simply run vent to near grade and put inside/cover with an appropriate Christy box with finger holes for air...metal, drive-over capable.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks