Concerned about my new plumbing rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

pmoe

Reaction score
I've been out of town the last couple of days while plumbers were roughing in a full bath for me. Yes, I am fastidious, but I have some concerns, so I'm looking for feedback on what has been done.

1) Should this vent pipe be straight or does it matter? Looks like it bends into the T.

3217021314_8967a59bbc.jpg

I assume the wet vent is OK.

2) Uh oh.

3217024048_997c58665b.jpg

3) This really concerns me...the toilet and lav drain appears to be pitched towards the fixtures. I confirmed this with a level. Am I missing something, or is this royally hosed?

3216172721_98ef2cb760.jpg

Full album

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
1) Hard to tell pitch by picture, but yes, you'd want it pitched away from the fixtures.
2) I hope they or you are coming back to insulate the pipes living in Ohio.
3) Seems like a lot of unnecessary direction changes in the DWV. Again though its hard to grasp with the pictures provided.
4) They hacked that double top plate pretty good.
5) The first picture shows the piped bowed in. I see it only as poor workmanship, but not detrimental.
6) FIRE THE ELECTRICIAN. There is no reason to ever have that NM in such a rat's nest tangle. There is no reason they could not have stapled it up in the joists neatly.

C NUMB

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.ericsmithplumbing.com
Where the strapping on the lav stack?
If the waste lines have backfall towards the fixtures it will need to be fixed.

Also, Whats up with the electrical?? It looks as if it was just thrown in!!

Did all that pass an inspection??

pmoe

Reaction score
1) Hard to tell pitch by picture, but yes, you'd want it pitched away from the fixtures.

I only have two hands or I'd take a picture with a level on it. It's going the wrong way. This concerns me.

2) I hope they or you are coming back to insulate the pipes living in Ohio.

I bought all the PE to do this and left it in the bathroom and hoped they would take the initiative, but they just moved it out of the bathroom.

4) They hacked that double top plate pretty good.

The double top plate was already notched from an old vent line so they went back through that same notch and gouged it out deeper.

6) FIRE THE ELECTRICIAN. There is no reason to ever have that NM in such a rat's nest tangle. There is no reason they could not have stapled it up in the joists neatly.

The guy is ornery...that's about all I can say for that.

pmoe

Reaction score
BTW, the electrical went in before the plumbing. I know that's less than optimal, but I didn't have a lot of choice given the circumstances. I don't know if the electrician was trying to leave room for the DWV and supply or just didn't bother stapling the lines up.

NPMSTR

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.prier.com
On Pic #2, they've installed the wall hydrant incorrectly. That particular wall hydrant is designed to be installed vertically, with the hose threads pointing down. They've installed a 22V, where they should have installed a 22.

If all the water in both the hot & cold pipes does not drain by gravity, they could freeze and burst inside your wall.

I definately have them change it, they should also replace the siding because you will have an extra hole in your house.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

I would have to see the specifications for the hose faucet to verify its orientation. Historically, a hot/cold faucet mounted vertically would have the cold on top.

pmoe

Reaction score
I definately have them change it, they should also replace the siding because you will have an extra hole in your house.

:mad:

V22%20gray.jpg

Anything else jumping out at anyone before I take this all up with the owner of the company?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks