White stuff in my faucets

Users who are viewing this thread

donk

Reaction score
Hi - I was the original poster here with the white particles clogging my aerators.
Just an update:
I had intended to wait till spring (cold here in Wash, DC) and try to drain and replace the dip tube. But the prob has gotten worse and one of my faucets burst when my wife turned it on and it was completely clogged.

So I have a plumber scheduled to come install a new elec. water heater this Saturday. He said he'd fix the tube for $190, but the heater is 13 years old. A new one will be $685 - sheesh. I could buy it for about $300 at Home Depot, but I just don't think I'm quite up to doing the sweat solder stuff not to mention the lifting, heh. Maybe someday.
Thx,
Donk
PS: oh yeah, I'm hearing that my state MD has recently passed a code requiring that all new water heater installs have a expansion tank. Something about terrorism - OMG how ridiculous. So that might add about $120 to the price. Grrrrr.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I live in MD near DC too and $685 for a new water heater is a steal, although you have already indicated that this might not include "extras" (so be careful). I paid $800 for mine and expected closer to $1000 to be the going rate.

Removal of the old heater is also a key benefit of having a licensed pro do this for you (make sure it is included in the price). Careful what brand of WH you choose to replace your old one with, consumer reports vary.

I am very glad that I replaced my WH before this new code came in regarding expansion tanks (although I am rather skeptical of whether it exists). I would have been extremely mad to have had to fit an expansion tank on my open system. I think I'll take my chances with the risks posed by terrorism. I guess they're training insurgents to break into our houses and fit new water meters with check valves and PRVs on our systems now while we are not looking eh? I'll certainly be checking my plumber's credentials from now on ;)

Are you sure the person who gave you this information regarding the code is not winding you up? Please do not tell me it was the plumber. If you have a closed system an expansion tank is essential though, whether the code requires it or not.

Last edited:

donk

Reaction score
I heard about the code first from the guy at Home Depot. He wasn't trying to sell me anything. He's just a retired plumber who works there. But then when I was calling for estimates a couple of them mentioned the new MD code. I've been searching the MD plumbing code websites but don't see anything about it.
How would I find out for sure??

The guy at Home Depot said he'd heard it was to prevent a terrorist who lived in a house from spreading chemicals or poison "out" into the main water line? Is that possible? Sounds ridiculous to me - but if I had a nickel for every ridiculous law...... heh.

Donk

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My guess is someone is pulling your leg or was mis-quoted. A check valve in a system requires an expansion tank, and doesn't hurt one that is open. Check valves aren't perfect, and could leak whether you have an expansion tank or not (more likely without an expansion tank because of the higher pressures in the system).

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Terrorist???

I would be in terror if I ever found my self taking advice from smockman...

Do you really thing a good plumber would settle for the chump change Home Depot or Lowes pays...

smockmanapron.jpg

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
How would I find out for sure??

You trust the judgement of the licensed, reputable plumber, which is where their license and reputation really starts to mean something because you will have recourse if something is not done right. That's why they earn the big bucks. For example Michael and Sons in our area are very good and always know the code requirements. But they are not the cheapest.

My town also requires that a permit be pulled for a new water heater. This means the new installation is inspected which would normally raise and require the correction of any code violations. Again a good local licensed plumber would know that my town requires a permit, even though it is the homeowner's ultimate responsibility to make sure a permit is pulled. That's again why he earns the big bucks, by telling me a permit is required and doing it for me.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks