(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Tub faucet and shower head location?

Default Tub faucet and shower head location?

Need more help! I'm installing a new delta tub/shower valve, tub spout and shower head.
    Questions:
    1. How high should the showerhead be? It will be about 72" from the bottom of the tub to the elbow on the riser - about where the old one was. Is that okay?
    3. How far should the tub faucet be from the tub rim to the faucet? The old one was about 8". I thought I read 4" is better, any opinions/codes?

Old faucet.

Thanks, Wayne

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

As to shower head height...if you like to stand completely under the shower without bending over, if it comes out of the wall at 6', then bends down for maybe another 6", it would only support a person 5'6" tall...personally, I like it high enough so I can get my hair rinsed out without bending over under it. To make it more convenient for other vertically challenged people, I put the shower head (actually a hand shower bracket) on an adjustable pole. I personally think 6' is too low. My unprofessional opinion. NOte, some people are using rain head showers on the ceiling...I don't think that there is a wrong height, except maybe too low.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Default heights

How tall are the users? I usually install it at 6'-3", (75") above the tub floor. The spout, not the valve can be anywhere but 6" is about average. The valve itself can go at any comfortable height. If you use the tub mostly as a shower then 3' above the floor is convenient for adjusting whether sitting in the tub or standing for a shower.