(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Inspector Rejected Our Shower Valve!

Default The Inspector Rejected Our Shower Valve!

Hi: In our new addition, the building inspector said we need to have "some sort of new fangled" shower valve, so we'll have to rip out the one we put in and replace it. Ok, he didn't say "new fangled", but what he meant was we'll need one that has an anti-scalding device. I've started looking for a new valve, but the trouble with this is that my wife wants a shower with two cross handles, not a single control valve. All I see is single handles. Are there any valves out there with separate hot and cold handles that are to code? Thanks--Marty

I teach guitar:You call that a job? Howard Emerson's Avatar

Hi Marty,
    This particular unit pictured here is with a tub spout, but I'm sure they're made without it, or the outlet can be bypassed.

What they've done here is faked the twin handle look with a temperature control on the right and a volume control on the left.

So if your wife is dead set for this sort of look...........

http://oldetymehardware.com/cartgeni...e.asp?pid=2435

HE

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Your choices are a pressure-balanced valve or a thermostatically controlled valve. A pressure-balanced valve is almost always a single handle, a thermostatically controlled valve needs two controls, sometimes they are knobs, sometimes levers.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

This one is from Grohe http://www.grohecatalog.com/product/19167/. Note, many of the valves can be bought with a rough-in valve, then you choose the trim. The rough-in and trim need to come from the same company, and there are often numerous trims that will fit a particular valve.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Hmm, you could install the faucet thats to code, then put in the one you want after the inspection. This new code doesn't take into consideration that there are not enough faucets to chose from. I'm not sure why this would be written into the code except that someone is trying to look like he is earning his paycheck when he really should get the boot!

Boy, I'll drink to that!! Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think my wife's looking for something on the old fashion side, so maybe the install what's code and then take it out afterwards is the way to go--sure wish we wouldn't have to do that, though. Marty

Quote Originally Posted by gvmeacalll View Post
    Hmm, you could install the faucet thats to code,(1) then put in the one you want after the inspection. This new code doesn't take into consideration that (2)there are not enough faucets to chose from. I'm not sure why this would be written into the code except that someone is trying to look like he is earning his paycheck when he really should get the boot!
    (1) It's your house, but this is not really good advice. This will bite you in the rear if you ever want to sell the house. Also, around here, a job like this will have a rough inspection and a final. You cant put in a single handle on rough, then try to explain on final ( after the tile is up!) why the faucet changed!
    (2) You really haven't been paying attention to catalogs, showrooms, internet shopping, etc. There are gazillions of design choices out there, including plenty in the pressure balanced or thermostatic two handle variety.

Hey Jimbo - that's great news and exactly what his original question was! A link to a website that features new faucets that meet the new codes would be very helpfull. I have been to all the big box stores and plumbing supply stores in my area and it seems that most of what is available is in a single handle variety.

Have you asked at the design desk at HD to look at their Your Other Warehouse catalog? Hundreds of pages of stuff. There is also a website. figureitout dot com.

I would think a single handle with a cross type handle would look just as nice.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Have you asked at the design desk at HD to look at their Your Other Warehouse catalog? Hundreds of pages of stuff. There is also a website. figureitout dot com.
    I went to figure it out dot com and guess what? No faucets! The reality is that there just aren't any nice, traditional looking faucets available. At least not for under $500.00. This puts us all in a bind if we want a multi-handled faucet. I have no interest in a "volume control" since i didn't realize that a faucet was meant for sound levels. And most of us who don't like single handled faucets realy don't have any choices at a reasonable price.

I went to figure it out dot com and guess what? No faucets! The reality is that there just aren't any nice, traditional looking faucets available. At least not for under $500.00. This puts us all in a bind if we want a multi-handled faucet. I have no interest in a "volume control" since i didn't realize that a faucet was meant for sound levels. And most of us who don't like single handled faucets realy don't have any choices at a reasonable price.
    I was trying to be cute about the website name, because the forum filter sometimes causes trouble. Your Other Warehouse ( also known as YOW) does have a website with plenty of faucets. They have that catalog in the stores as well, ( HD) and Lowes may also have it or something similar. Any plumbing supply house or interior design studio also has catalogs.

Now, you throw in the price issue, and you are barking up the wrong tree. When you want fancy looking stuff, it will come with a fancy price tag.

I have no interest in a "volume control" since i didn't realize that a faucet was meant for sound levels.
    One handle controlling how much water, with the other handle controlling hot-or-cold, is actually really nice. You don't know what you're missing:

You can turn the water off, to hear what someone's yelling at you ("honey, where are the keys?"), and when you turn it back on afterwards, the temperature is still the same as you had it. No fiddling around trying to find it again.

If you live alone, even better - the temperature's always already set to your liking.
    Master Plumber Mark:

there is nothing better than the
    manly smell of WD 40 in the air
    while banging away on brass with a chisel and hammer...

it smells like......victory......

do not hit your thumb...

Master Plumber master plumber mark's Avatar
    indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of the brave....
    Blog Entries

Talking that Ghroe looks too expensive....get a new wife...

What your wife wants and what she can have
    sometimes are very far apart and all you are going to do
    is beat your brains out trying to please her...

and of course if she gets her way here,
    the demands to get you to jump through hoops
    will only get worse and worse as time goes on....

you are going down a very slippery slope......

if you absolutely must , just blame the inspector...
    tell her the inspector is an a-hol/ and wont
    allow what she want....cause they dont make it.....

then give her a couple of Deltas with lever handles to choose from...

go to deltafaucet.com

http://www.deltafaucet.com/wps/porta...i_IdlQEADWh13E!

Its simple, hav her find a fawcet thet the inspcter likes.
    I would be staying way claer on this

Codes are meant to pertect old folks and kids.
    No sense to burning em.

I once was tryying to give a bath to my rabit once.
    My wife was using the kitchen, and the rabbiet was swirming all over.
    Finally I yell out,
    Woman! This rabbit isn't liking you using the kitchen sink!