Lead house trap plug

Users who are viewing this thread

Bbillcee

Reaction score
i have to put a new plug in....is there any trick to putting these in when new or just hammer the crap outta it?

thanx

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A threaded cleanout plug is always preferred but If the threads of the cleanout adapter are too far gone you can use a Lead Fit-All.

You must first have the right size. You will note that the lead has threads in it and you need to thread it in then give it a thump square in the center with a hammer to set it.

You do not just hammer the crap out of is or, you will find yourself reaching into the trap to pull out the pieces and end up buying a new one.:eek:

Last edited:

Bbillcee

Reaction score
thanx i have a 4 inch trap & i bought a 4 inch fit all and i would think it would drop in there slightly but it doesn't the trap is like 75 years old do u think the new fit alls run slightly bigger or something???

the cast iron part of the fit all is almost the size of the opening ! maybe i should get a 3 3/4 if they sell them

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The sizing on Lead Fit-Alls is a little different... You probably need a 3 1/2" one.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hopefully its not one of the tweener cleanout adapters...
There are some out there that end up right in between the 2 sizes.

Bombjay

Reaction score
Redwood has it! 3 1/2" is a common clean out plug in old cast iron pipes.
You local home dumpster or likewise store will have that size.
A big hammer will be the correct tool to place it back in as your threads
have been gone on this pipe for a *very* long time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks