Shower Valve Stems Too Short

Users who are viewing this thread

TitansFan

Reaction score
Hello. We recently installed new tile in a customer's shower surround. We also replaced his old shower vavle with a new one. After installing the backerboard and tile, we discovered that the stems for the hot and cold handles are a little short so we can't install the new handles. The handles are held on by a small allen/hexhead screw.

Is there a way to extend these stems a little bit so we can get the handles on? The new valve is not a name brand. It was purchased off of ****.

Thanks for any advice or help!

TitansFan

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Faucet was roughed in Improperly.You may have to maybey find stem exstenders but I doubt it.No brand faucets cause prblems as you cant find
parts for them.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
If you can find them, plastic extenders are not the way to go (they break). My advice would be to find another faucet that has longer stems.

Price Pfister seem to have the longest, but check the specs.

Alternatively, you may be able to push the pipes *a little* to expose enough of the stem if there is any room to move.

I had exactly the same problem. No doubt a 1950s house with thick concrete around the bath. They do not build them like that anymore.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks