double sink problem tailpiece drain

Users who are viewing this thread

missing

Reaction score
hello,

i am re-plumbing the pipes under the kitchen sink. the house was built in 1946, it is a double sink going to a single wall drain whick terminates into a leaded galvanized 2 inch pipe into cast iron.

from the bottom of the sink to the drain is 5 inches, the kitchen drains are 18.5 inches apart from center to center. i have tried all kinds of screw together pvc fittings to drain the sinks. no joy, they all leak. i replaced with glue together pvc, 1.5 inch, all is fine, except at teh tailpiece on the drain closest to the service drain into the wall. i screwed it down snugg and water then leaked from the tailpiece and the part that is screwed to the pvc glue joint. i thought okay, try another piece, no joy same thing. any suggestions would be appreciated at this point. is there a way to glue a tailpiece of pvc to the bottom of the sink and remedy this problem, or do i need to tear into the wall and replace the pipe to a level that all the drainage is farther downhill. thanks in advance. i have pictures if that would help.

Last edited:

missing

Reaction score
Pictures

hello,

sorry for the confusion,

what i have here is a sink side by side. tailpiece down on one side connects to a elbow that goes into a t piece connected to the other side tailpiece, which connects to a p trap, which is connected to the drain in the wall. i have removed the dishwasher piece that you see in the picture. consider it just too tail pieces connecting to pvc, via the screw together type connectors. trying to resize a photo to post.

missing

Reaction score
Pictures

here they are

Attachments

• small-DSCN6607.jpg
    small-DSCN6607.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 667
  • small-DSCN6608.jpg
    small-DSCN6608.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 722
  • small-DSCN6609.jpg
    small-DSCN6609.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 633
  • small-DSCN6610.jpg
    small-DSCN6610.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 739

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

You do have a problem, but it is that the pipe in the wall may be too high to make a proper installation. A Chrome plated brass "hi-line" end outlet waste might raise the horizontal pipe above the pipe in the wall, but it would be marginal. With your situation, I would install a "Y" at the wall and then pipe to two separate "P" traps, one for each sink.