Drain for double sink vanity

Users who are viewing this thread

Doublebonus

Reaction score
Converting single sink to double. Existing stubout is in center. Converting from copper to PVC. All drains and vent stack are 1 1/2 inch.
Can I use the bottom drawing? Would tie in to existing copper stack at top and bottom with shielded coupling. Everything between ferncos would be PVC. Would it be ok to use a reducer bushing in bottom 2 inch side of double fixture fitting to allow 1 1/2 inch from floor to connect.

Having trouble posting photo.
I have a 1 1/2 copper from floor straight up to to stubout,straight to roof vent. In double fixture fitting would need to use adapter bushing in bottom 2 inch opening of double fixture to accommidate 1 1/2 inch pipe from floor, 2 1 1/2 inch arms to stubs and 1 1/2 inch continues to roof.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
no its definately not ok to bush down the fitting will it work ? yes . is it right ? no.
You could stack 2, 1/1/2 santees and revent the bottom one or add a aav to it a bit hokey but you cant wet vent them verticaly unless you have 2 inch. Im thinking stacking the 1 1/2" santees would work fine on a lav, but its not legal and I wouldnt do it at least not in my code

Doublebonus

Reaction score
Then there's no option that would meet code.
Terry gave an option a while back that I'm going to have to go with.
He said to have a wye at top and bottom with basically 2 vertical stacks side by side,each one having a sanitary tee for horizontal waste arm.
Wye at top and bottom would tie into existing stack.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
He said to have a wye at top and bottom with basically 2 vertical stacks side by side,each one having a sanitary tee for horizontal waste arm.
Wye at top and bottom would tie into existing stack.
That works fine (and even for the UPC if the 1-1/2" stack enlarges to 2" before or as it turns horizontal, which may not be very likely).

The IPC will let you just stack two san-tees for the two lavs, all on a 1-1/2" stack, as a sort of vertical wet vent. But it calls it "common venting at different levels."

Cheers, Wayne

Doublebonus

Reaction score
The link that Terry suggested. He said to use the one in green. Seems there is no other option. If I stack 2 tees the stubouts would be at different levels?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I stack 2 tees the stubouts would be at different levels?
Sure, but that's not a problem per se. The lav tailpieces can be different lengths. If you use a street 1-1/2" san-tee into a regular 1-1/2" san-tee, the height difference would be about 3-1/2".

But the green option is fine if you prefer that, and it avoids this height difference.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
One unusual option the IPC allows is "common venting at the same level" where you would use a single san-tee off to one side of both lavs, and then a common trap arm that extends to the far lav. The near lav's trap arm would join the combo trap arm with a horizontal combo.

The far lav's trap arm would have to comply with the total fall limit (1-1/2" for a 1-1/2" trap arm) and resulting length limit (6' if you pitch the trap arm perfectly at 1/4" per foot). Well, both trap arms would have to, but unless you do something weird upstream of the combo, if the far lav complies, the near lav would, too.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
The link that Terry suggested. He said to use the one in green. Seems there is no other option. If I stack 2 tees the stubouts would be at different levels?
as wayne pointed out ohio code will allow stacking those santees your code is easier than ours in most ways but I see no harm in going with whats legal for you . We stack santees commonly like that all the time just not 1 1/2 size. like when we have double lavs and one has got a condensate going to a wye branch tailpiece under the lav

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks