(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: PEX and tight turns...

Default PEX and tight turns...

When doing a job where PEX is being used and you need to use a 90* instead of just bending the pex (tight spot), how confident do you feel about this fitting or do you try to avoid them.

If you try to avoid them is it because you are concerned about the fitting failing or the cost?

There is a job going on in my neighborhood where there are A LOT of Uponor ProPex fittings being used in ceiling and joist bays. I'm curious as to how folks feel about this sort of thing verses the home-run methods, etc.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

One of the benefits of using pex is you need fewer connections. This saves on cost. You can run it like copper pipe, and then you need just as many. Sometimes, you don't have a choice. I'd prefer a path that didn't need as many fittings, but other than cost, should be okay. Each fitting adds more restriction which also might mean the calculations on the size needed might no longer apply. A continuous run, because it is smoother is said can be done with smaller pipe in pex vs copper. Throw in a bunch of fittings, and that probably no longer applies. they may notice flow problems if it was sized for the smaller pipe without all of the fittings, depending on how overboard they went.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

There are supports that you anchor, then run the pex thru it. You can make real 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by kordts
    There are supports that you anchor, then run the pex thru it. You can make real 90's.
    Yes, but only within the limits of the tube... what do you do when you need to make a 90 in 2" of room?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Re-route it, or put in a joint.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Use what you have to use...then go home and get a good night's sleep.