Milwaukee Pex Expansion tool

Users who are viewing this thread

Don_P

Reaction score
Plumbing a basement bathroom and I borrowed the Milwaukee Pex Expanding tool from a friend of mine.

Now researching this, it states that you MUST use only Uponor pipe and fittings with the Milwaukee expanding tool??

Will this work with the Sioux Chief PowerPex "Type B" pipe that I bought. Sioux chief states right in the manual that it can be expanded as long as you use an automatic expansion tool.

Do they make different heads I would need to get for this work? Would it be ok as is?

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Plumbing a basement bathroom and I borrowed the Milwaukee Pex Expanding tool from a friend of mine.

Now researching this, it states that you MUST use only Uponor pipe and fittings with the Milwaukee expanding tool??

Will this work with the Sioux Chief PowerPex "Type B" pipe that I bought. Sioux chief states right in the manual that it can be expanded as long as you use an automatic expansion tool.

Do they make different heads I would need to get for this work? Would it be ok as is?

Good to use. But I also noticed that Zurn (makers of PEX B) is offering rotating expansion heads to fit the Milwaukee and DeWalt expansion tools. The design of the moving sections of the head is very similar to the Milwaukee ones but seems to be an improvement that would offer less chance of "channels" being molded into the expanded PEX.

qelhd_af-600x600.aspx

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks for bringing that up . it sounds way off? I see use only milwaukee or uponor heads with this expansion tool a 2432 I was looking at I didnt see a referance to which pipe it could be used on. of cource this was just one tool I looked at .

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Probebly just want you using thier parts but they kind of partnered with uponor back in the day to get the push going on expansion. but what pipe you can use a milwaukee on I have never heard if someone has knowledge on that bring it here

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I would not gamble on this.... you should use the Uponor with that tool...it works great

The brand doesn't matter. Zurn and Sioux Chief (and other non-A pipe manufacturers) certify F1960 expansion, and that only means the Milwaukee or DeWalt power tools or the older manual three arm tools.

John

Don_P

Reaction score
Good to use. But I also noticed that Zurn (makers of PEX B) is offering rotating expansion heads to fit the Milwaukee and DeWalt expansion tools. The design of the moving sections of the head is very similar to the Milwaukee ones but seems to be an improvement that would offer less chance of "channels" being molded into the expanded PEX.

qelhd_af-600x600.aspx
I just finished watching a video about this. They used a Zurn head on the milwaukee and said the fit seemed to be much better?? I will have to look into this, thank you.

Don_P

Reaction score
I guess I should have stated that the model I currently have is the 2474, not the 2432. I'm guessing the one I have is the Home Depot version?
From what I found on the internet is the 2474 is newer and non "propex" which is an uponor brand. Supposedly their is 0 difference between the two of them.

Not sure how much truth their is to it, mine is the non pro pex version.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I guess I should have stated that the model I currently have is the 2474, not the 2432. I'm guessing the one I have is the Home Depot version?
From what I found on the internet is the 2474 is newer and non "propex" which is an uponor brand. Supposedly their is 0 difference between the two of them.

Not sure how much truth their is to it, mine is the non pro pex version.
I looked up a 2474 20? Also and saw mention to only use milwaukee heads .
But Im wondering if your report that Milwaukee warns tool must not be used on any brand pipe and fittings other than Uponor ? there is a differance between saying a differant head cant be used and saying that the expander cant be used on any other brand pipe or fittings .
I tried looking at the manuals I only looked at 2 but maybe you can double check the wording or repeat back word for word to clarify .
Have you called Milwaukee ? First Ive ever heard this but cant find it in writing admitedly I havent looked deeply into it

Don_P

Reaction score
I looked up a 2474 20? Also and saw mention to only use milwaukee heads .
But Im wondering if your report that Milwaukee warns tool must not be used on any brand pipe and fittings other than Uponor ? there is a differance between saying a differant head cant be used and saying that the expander cant be used on any other brand pipe or fittings .
I tried looking at the manuals I only looked at 2 but maybe you can double check the wording or repeat back word for word to clarify .
Have you called Milwaukee ? First Ive ever heard this but cant find it in writing admitedly I havent looked deeply into it
I tried to call Milwaukee and the person I talked with had no idea. I was referred to the tech department and haven't heard back yet.
I tried to search for 2474-22, the kit I have, on their website and it doesn't even list it. All that comes up is the 2432-22.
I will have to call tomorrow and see if I can get an actual answer.

Don_P

Reaction score
Even the tech's from Milwaukee couldn't even tell me a real difference between the 2 different models.

I asked if I could use this gun with my Sioux Chief Pex and they said they wouldn't recommend it.
I then asked well one is propex, which is made for Uponor I believe. They stated that was right but weren't sure on the other model. Then I was told it should work on all brands of Pex A.

So in the end I called Sioux Chief and I was told that their PowerPex, type B, will work perfectly fine with the Milwaukee tool and the Milwaukee head.

So I guess I never got a definitive answer from Milwaukee. I will just have to try and test piece and fitting and see what happens possibly.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wow absurd that milwaukee cant answer questions about thier tools. I would expect its good for all expansion but also expect milwaukee to advise . In any case in your opening post you said thier manual stated "only uponor pipe and fittings may be used" are you sure thats what it said?

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
So I guess I never got a definitive answer from Milwaukee. I will just have to try and test piece and fitting and see what happens possibly.

I can't speak for Milwaukee, but most manufacturers don't put any qualified people on the phones anymore for cost reasons. For all we know, the guy at Milwaukee was a college kid with an internet connection and a software script used to walk people through common problems. Your question probably not on the script..

The last time I talked to an engineer (boring story follows) was when I called Bosch to see if their remanned alternators had all new electronics inside - not just new brushes, cleaned up comm, paint job, and a bench test pass. The reason I wanted to know is that I had put in an OEM remanned alternator (expensive) that required disassembling part of the suspension for access - not a 10 minute job - and it lasted 13 months because the regulator quit in the OEM remanned alternator. The lady on the phone at Bosch couldn't answer so she said she'd have someone call me who could help (yeah, sure).

Two hours later I get call from a Bosch engineer who asked me what he could help me with. I asked him whether Bosch alternators were just rebrushed and painted or fully remanned, and he told me that in GM and Ford applications, every Bosch alternator gets new rectifiers and regulators whether they needed them or not. So I bought a Bosch and it ran 5 years without issues until I sold the car.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks