What type of wrench to use

Users who are viewing this thread

Motlot77

Reaction score
what type of wrench do you all use when you don't want to screw up the finish of the nut or faucet head you're trying to unscrew?

some finishes come off really easily when using pliers or various wrenches due to the tools teeth. what other type of tool can i use?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to use either an good adjustable end wrench or an end wrench of the proper size. Even with them, you need to use care. You can put tape around the nut, but that will not totally protect the finish if the wrench slips. If possible, a box end wrench would be the safest tool. Don't use pliers or pipe wrenches even with tape you'll mar the finish.

Motlot77

Reaction score
how about for ROUND fittings that are a smooth metal finish. such as the strainer basket piece on the end of a faucet?

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
The aerator on a faucet has (usually) two small holes on it's underside which a small key fits into to unscrew it...

TedL

Reaction score
markts30 said:
The aerator on a faucet has (usually) two small holes on it's underside which a small key fits into to unscrew it...

I've never seen that....

Aerators often have two flats to accept a wrench. But a thin rubber circle used for gripping jar lids (kitchen item) will let it come off by hand most of the time. In the rare cases it won't, I use that same circle as a protector between a wrench and the aerator.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
aerator

It is a rare aerator that has either the two slots, (which usually requires a special wrench), or flats on the sides. A piece of rubber in the plier jaws will usually unscrew it.

index.php

Last edited by a moderator:

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
" A piece of rubber in the plier jaws will usually unscrew it."
Cut a 2" piece of dishwasher hose and slip it over the aerator, then use your pliers.

Racer814

Reaction score
I use a pair of smooth jawed channel locks that I dipped the jaws in several coats of plasti-dip to give them a rubber coating....work great

cbl

Reaction score
I use a strap wrench (plumbing tool department at Home Depot) for installing shower head necks. There is also a liquid rubber coating that is intended for re-newing plier handles. I have used this dip-and-let-dry product on the jaws of a few pairs of pliers to make them non-marring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks