DWV mockup

Users who are viewing this thread

santhony7

Reaction score
OK, here is my first try at a design for 2 toilets, a lav and a bath/shower. Did I even get close???

Attachments

• IMG_2266.jpg
    IMG_2266.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 434

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The lav and bath shower should be going to Ys and not Ts

santhony7

Reaction score
vent

Awesome. Thank you for your input and your time guys. I would hate to go through all this trouble upgrading only to do it wrong. I will buy the new fittings tomorrow.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look at it again ,,,,,,,,, The 90's for the w/c's won't stand vertical ON THE CARPET !!

The vents for the w/c's can be Sant-t's as long as they go vertical. The Sant-T's that you have off of your main run MUST BE CHANGED to TY's

He's fine . Just change those sant-t's to ,,,TY's

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
fittings

I would have to see the entire work area, (i.e., sewer depth, fixture locations, etc.), and then I might throw everything away and do it differently.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I think that unless everyone of us had a drawing to go by and a spec.sheet that everyone of us would do it a little differently... codes tend to vary although most are going by international code... when I got my license we went by SBCCI. I would definitely prefer the long sweep turns....and to keep all vent connections vertical

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
brain surgery--- it is not--

what the guy has done looks pretty good to
me, and will function perfectly as is......
it looks like he has actually overdone it in many ways....

if you really want to get technical he has 2 inch traps going
to the tub drains and they really only need to be 1 1/2....!!!
or were they showers??
Another Plumbing --- foooo-paaaa-

long sweep fittings are a luxury and a hinderance most times.....
many times between floors they cant be used anyway....

they are simply not necessary either......
it you want to use them
thats great that you fan fit them into the area
but everything he has shown
here is about how it is usually done in most places
and will work forever.

it looksmuch , much better than many I have seen.. as is ....
-

Last edited:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Mark...everything you said is true...but some places actually require the long sweeps... Where I was working on a big commercial job absolutely NO tees or 90's were acceptable underground...not even long sweeps. Over enginerred but it sold alot of expensive ductile pipe....and ACIPCO is the local manufacturer and I'm sure they had someone influencing what kind of pipe and fittings has to be underground. Those pipe rules help the local economy...and keep the cost of plumbing sky high. I live in an area like you where there are NO inspections and no rules... run into every thing...no vents, no cleanouts, etc. on new high dollar homes.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
?

Most places do NOT use the International Code, it is more of an East coast thing. And if it was done like that in most places it would receive a red violation tag. You either have a very lenient inspector or liberal plumbing code, if you can do it that way. Or else it is done without inspections.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
hj...what code do they use where you are? I know the building codes in earthquake areas are very different. I had a customer build a home designed for California... he really braggs on how well it is built... A heck of alot of unnecessary work and expense for this area. I kinda laughed because the plumber ran two 4" pipes out the roof for vents where only one 2" pipe would have been more than sufficient. Reason for the long sweeps and wyes are so the plumbing snakes and cameras make the turns so much easier, not necessarily so the plumbing works better.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Cal said:
Look at it again ,,,,,,,,, The 90's for the w/c's won't stand vertical ON THE CARPET !!

The vents for the w/c's can be Sant-t's as long as they go vertical ...

That was my point. By imagining the WCs laying on the floor actually being vertical (as if looking at a drawing rather than at actual parts laying in front of us), the vents would be running out horizontally ... and I would not want to do that, especially if they were to be downstream.

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
randyj,
the reason codes call for sweeping fittings is so the drains don't get clogged. The codes don't give a shit about rodding and cameras. It's all about the science of plumbing. If sweeping fittings are used, there is much less need of cameras and rodding.

santhony7

Reaction score
got it

OK, so I changed all the fitting to sweeps. I am not 100% that my space will aloow them but I will try since it sounds like the "ideal" setup. He is a photo of my DWC version 2.0. I tried to stand some of them up on the carpet this time but my dog kept knocking them over! I will be sure to keep vent Ts at a 45 degree min.

You all rock! Thanks for the help again.

Attachments

• IMG_2270.jpg
    IMG_2270.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 395

santhony7

Reaction score
vents

The last two vents at left and right at the bottom won't do the job even on a horizontal system? Are you saying that the vents should be on the 2" going to the 3"? Thanks Terry!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks