relief valve plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Tickridgescott

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a relief valve (75 psi) hooked near my pressure tank. I want to know if I can plumb it directly into the waste line. Someone told me that it may introduce bacteria into the potable water system.

I have a central drain located on the floor of the utility room several feet away from the pressure tank. I thought about running a small pipe across the floor and drill a hole into the drain grate and point it downwards. I also am going to have the pressure relief from the hot water heater hooked to this as well.

Any feedback?

thanks,
Scott

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Connecting them to a drain, or hanging them into a floor drain, may never cause a problem, but it could. And if it did you would not be happy with the results. Do it correctly or do not do it at all.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
To my knowledge it is allowed if you use an air gap with the end of the pipe at least 1" above the collection cup.... you would want a trap that stays wet to keep the sewer gas out of the house. Not really a good idea, too many other problems involved so it's really best to put it in a separate line to storm water drain or just outside on the ground.

Gencon

Renovator
Reaction score
Website
gencon.piczo.com
The 1" air gap rule is correct. Just provide a funnel directly under the valves discharge and run the piping from the funnel, over to the floor drain as you originally wanted to do.The funnel can simply be a large reducing coupling.
For a 3/4" valve discharge, I usually use a 3x1 reducing coupling and then 1" pipe to the floor drain.
There are also floor drains available with funnel tops that will provide the air gap-but since yours is in the middle of the room, this would cause a trip hazard.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yep... first time I saw an air gap I was wondering why they didn't have the drain hooked up!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks