Winterizing Water Line From Well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hader

Reaction score
We are planning on moving pump and tank about 30' further from current location. The house will be unoccupied, unheated during the winter (New Brunswick. Canada). Is it advisable to drain the Black Poly line from the well to the pump for winter? The crawl space has very little insulation, and the line is on top of the ground. Please see attached drawing and let me know wht you think. ..... Thank you.

Water Line.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would think because of the 3' drop all the water above ground would drain out. But the pipes from ground level down towards the pump will still freeze. You really need a brass bleeder orifice down the well so it drains to about 5' below ground.

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes. I think you should pump air into the drive pipe with an air compressor while the suction line drains out. This will let you get the water out below the frost line, if it works as I expect. I don't know how many CFM would be needed. I am thinking 10 CFM would be more than enough, but that maybe 4 CFM, or even less, might be sufficient. While the air is flowing, the setup will be acting like an air lift pump. I am not a pro.

nd.06.f.tailpipe.jpg

Hader

Reaction score
Thank you Reach4.

Your response is very helpful in understanding how the system works. I will follow your directions to drain the system when we install the pump in the new location.

Will priming the pump require additional steps before using it?

Hader

Reaction score
Submersible or not, the foot valve or check valve is what keeps the well from draining back.
I understand what you are saying about the 'Foot Valve'. What I didn't understand was "the brass bleeder orifice down the well" you mentioned.
Mistakenly, I thought that would only apply to the submersible pumps.

Wouldn't the suggestion by Reach4 work if there was no 'bleeder orifice'?

Thank you.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Like Reach said, I think that will be acting like an air lift pump, and you won't get the water out of the other pipe. I usually just disconnect the pipes and stick a big stick, dowel rod, or capped pvc pipe down both pipes to displace the water. I think you could use a brass bleeder on the drive pipe, but I have never tried it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks