What’s yours opinion on tandem breakers

Users who are viewing this thread

OZ324

Reaction score
Doing a basement complete remodel and prepping for electrical work. I need to wire three separate spaces for lighting and all the outlets. One is a bar. No bedrooms. Bath already has a separate breaker. Thanks.

Stuff

Reaction score
A moot point most of the time. For most new circuits in a residence you can't use a tandem as need a full size slot for a code required AFCI breaker.

Starting with 2008 NEC AFCI required in family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreations rooms, closets, hallways and similar rooms

Reach4

Reaction score
It sounds as if he would need to put in a subpanel.

If it were me, I might move some existing circuits to tandem breakers, to free up space for full sized breakers for the new circuits. Would that be cheating a bit?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;
Starting with 2008 NEC AFCI required in family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreations rooms, closets, hallways and similar rooms

WHAT is left?

Reach4

Reaction score
WHAT is left?
Kitchens, bathrooms, unfinished basements, garages, outdoor although they need GFCI, and the protection can be at the outlet.

I don't know about 240 such as 240 room air conditioners.

Stuff

Reaction score
I left out: the 2014 NEC added kitchens and laundry areas to the AFCI list.

120 volt circuits only so far.

Reach4

Reaction score
I left out: the 2014 NEC added kitchens and laundry areas to the AFCI list.
What if the town is on 2008 NEC when the permit is drawn, but the town moves to 2014 NEC before the inspection?

Stuff

Reaction score
What if the town is on 2008 NEC when the permit is drawn, but the town moves to 2014 NEC before the inspection?
You check the fine print as most permits are for code when issued. Otherwise find out what kind of beer the inspector likes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks