What type of system is this and can anyone name the parts to it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
https://actionmfg.com/product/outdoor-aerators/

Here's a cutaway view of your Well Guard aerator tank. Water enters the top of the tank thru a spray bar. This releases the objectionable odors and gases. Which are carried away by a vent fan. The level inside the tank is controlled by the float switch and solenoid valve outside the tsnk. The water inside the tank is then repressurised by a 1/2hp 20 gpm submersible pump inside the tank.

One pressure tank is for the pump supplying the aerator tsnk. The second pressure tank is for the pump inside the aerator tank

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
B is an elbow, not a Tee.
Makes sense. The the orientation is input on the right of the Water Guard, and pump+output are on the left of the photo.

Jim Bob-- all clear now?

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jim Bob,

The bottom pressure gauge is the pressure going into the aerator tank from the well pump. The psi drops when the solenoid valve opens, the water flows out of the pressure tank until the pressure switch turns the well pump on. Then the well pump runs until the aerator tank is full, the solenoid valve closes and the pressure tank fills until the pressure increases to the cutoff pressure of the pressure switch. The well pump remains off until the water level drops in the aerator tank and the float switch opens the solenoid valve again.

The top pressure gauge is for the pump inside the aerator tank. It is completely independent of the well pump. The water in the aerator tank is pumped and pressurized by the sub pump in the aerator tank, water flows to the second pressure tank and next set of water conditioning equipment. Then on to the house. There will be another pressure switch that intellectuals pump.

Water quality is often poor in southwest Florida and usually needs water treatment equipment

Jim Bob

Reaction score
Jim Bob,

The bottom pressure gauge is the pressure going into the aerator tank from the well pump. The psi drops when the solenoid valve opens, the water flows out of the pressure tank until the pressure switch turns the well pump on. Then the well pump runs until the aerator tank is full, the solenoid valve closes and the pressure tank fills until the pressure increases to the cutoff pressure of the pressure switch. The well pump remains off until the water level drops in the aerator tank and the float switch opens the solenoid valve again.

The top pressure gauge is for the pump inside the aerator tank. It is completely independent of the well pump. The water in the aerator tank is pumped and pressurized by the sub pump in the aerator tank, water flows to the second pressure tank and next set of water conditioning equipment. Then on to the house. There will be another pressure switch that intellectuals pump.

Water quality is often poor in southwest Florida and usually needs water treatment equipment
Thanks for the help guys!

Now I just need to figure out why my sprinkler pressure gets lost after 30 seconds.

Jim Bob

Reaction score
Jim Bob,

I thought the gauges were for the pressure tank, haha.

I want to test pressure of my pressure tank now

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I thought the gauges were for the pressure tank, haha.
Pressure comes from the pump. The pressure tank uses trapped air as a "spring" to reserve pressure until the pump turns on.

I want to test pressure of my pressure tank now
What does that mean? When the pump is running, the pressure is coming from the pump, not the tank. If you use water faster than the pump can deliver, the pressure drops.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Now I just need to figure out why my sprinkler pressure gets lost after 30 seconds.
Where does the sprinkler system tie in? In other words, which pump is supplying pressure to it? My guess is that it is not the second pump inside the aerator tank.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Does only one pump run when the sprinkler is on? Should be able to tell by looking at the pressure gauges.

Jim Bob

Reaction score
Does only one pump run when the sprinkler is on? Should be able to tell by looking at the pressure gauges.

Heres what both those gauges do:

Prior to turning either the water spigot on or sprinklers, the top gauge is around 55 and bottom around 55, so about the same.

When I turn water spigot on:

Top gauge keeeps rising.

Bottom gauge stays at around 55.

When I turn on sprinklers:

Top gauge stays at 55.

Bottom gauge drops to about 10.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
When I turn on sprinklers:

Top gauge stays at 55.

Bottom gauge drops to about 10.
So it is as I surmised. The sprinklers tie into the well pump line before the aeration tank. Your well pump cannot supply the demand of the sprinkler system. It could be due to low water table, clogged slotted well casing (screen), or bad pump.

JerryR

Reaction score
How would you explain tee B?

I believe that B is NOT a “T” fitting but it’s a 90 elbow. That’s the feed line to the aerator nozzles. There’s another pipe exiting the tank behind “B” 90. That pipe goes to the water softener tank “O” and tees off to the Blue pressure tank “J”.

“c” may be a low voltage solenoid that turns on to feed water to the aerator nozzles when the aerator tank float gets low.

There must be a submersible pump in the aerator tank to supply water pressure to the softener and house.

I suspect the in ground well pump cannot handle the water volume that the sprinklers require and therefor pressure drops to to 10 PSI on the lower pressure gauge when sprinklers are on. The in ground well pump has INsufficient volume to supply the aerator nozzles.

———-

My Florida cabin has a similar setup except I don’t have a submersible pump in my aerator tank and it uses an external jet pump to supply water FROM the aerator. My system also has a chlorine tank and pump that feeds a chlorine drip into the aerator tank anytime the aerator solenoid is activated. My aerated and chlorinated water then goes through a carbon tank to remove the chlorine before going to the house.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

Reaction score
So it is as I surmised. The sprinklers tie into the well pump line before the aeration tank. Your well pump cannot supply the demand of the sprinkler system. It could be due to low water table, clogged slotted well casing (screen), or bad pump.

Low water table? Bad pump? Neither Id be able to fix myself, shucks!

https://ibb.co/Q8P4V5p

This picture I just posted...What is this set of pipes calldd with the metalish looking top and also that pipe circled in red leads to where if I dig? The well pipe/casing themself are slightly to the left of it, btw.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
That looks like a vacuum breaker to me. It's so that water on the lawn can't be accidentally sucked back into the potable water system thru the sprinklers, if something failed.

Bannerman

Reaction score
A vacuum breaker will allow air into the downstream line when there is negative pressure on that line. Assuming the downstream line is to feed the irrigation system, since the vacuum breaker is elevated above the sprinkler heads, air entering the VB will allow the feed line to the sprinklers to drain at least partially through the sprinkler heads.

If there was to be a loss of upstream pressure resulting in backflow before the VB, the air entering through the VB will prevent water from the irrigation line from being siphoned into the potable system.

Jim Bob

Reaction score
A vacuum breaker will allow air into the downstream line when there is negative pressure on that line. Assuming the downstream line is to feed the irrigation system, since the vacuum breaker is elevated above the sprinkler heads, air entering the VB will allow the feed line to the sprinklers to drain at least partially through the sprinkler heads.

If there was to be a loss of upstream pressure resulting in backflow before the VB, the air entering through the VB will prevent water from the irrigation line from being siphoned into the potable system.

If that was the case, how would one go about fixing that?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Fixing what? That is exactly what a vacuum breaker is intended and designed to do and why it was placed there.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks