What is this grounding on my septic waste line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I bought a fixer upper & am in the basement trying to understand a plethora of chaos. The fisherman that owned my house prior wrote in sharpie what everything did--hot/cold, dates the oil burning water heater was cleaned, etc. But he didn't leave me a note re this contraption. I am about redo the plumbing to the washer and dryer but there is this wire attached that I assume is a grounding to the cast iron septic trap. If it is a necessary component, is there something that is less sloppy I could buy to achieve the same results? I am in NY, hence the old connection style to the septic system. (The septic system is on a waitlist for a grant so the cast iron connection's days are numbered.)
IMG_8042.jpeg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's just for looks. Its not attached well enough to be real grounding.

The copper system should be bonded to ground in some fashion in the future. But its better that it goes to the electrical grounding especially since the Cast Iron is going to be removed.

Reaction score
That's just for looks. Its not attached well enough to be real grounding.

The copper system should be bonded to ground in some fashion in the future. But its better that it goes to the electrical grounding especially since the Cast Iron is going to be removed.
Thanks for the laugh & the help! There are a lot of “just for looks” happening here.

I did see a copper ground going to the electrical panel that looks attached correctly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks