What is the better Material for a Window in a Shower Area?

Users who are viewing this thread

1Newaygo

Reaction score
Sorry but hoping for some ideas as to what Brand / Material Window would be best in a Shower Area of a Bathroom? As the one there now is wood casement with wood trim. I understand that a Composite Material would be best. Would it be best to Put Tile around the Window and not wood as Trim? Would Fiberglass be the better Material for such a Window? Also who would be the best Contractor that could do both the Window and the Tile or would it need to be 2 Different Contractors? Starting to remove the walls and hoping to learn more as these days finding & setting up Contractors needs to be done well in advance as I only have 1 bathroom and need to maybe get these set up and ready once I get the Demo Completed.
1Newaygo

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Best practices: no wood in the shower area. PVC, some composites, or fiberglass fixed sash. Shower waterproofing layer sealed to the sash frame. Non wood trim applied over the waterproofing without fasteners penetrating the waterproofing--could be tile, or more PVC, some composites or fiberglass.

As to construction sequence, not sure, maybe the carpenter/GC installs the window, trims out the exterior and air seals, leaving the interior to be handled by whoever is doing the shower waterproofing?

Cheers, Wayne

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have this issue. I was thinking I would do a free standing shower base and build glass doors on BOTH sides as there are no good designs for wrapping a window.

Pvc trim would be the best if one had to trim out a window in a shower. It cuts just like wood and can look like painted wood.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Glass block can work well as a window replacement in a shower. Lots of styles and sized blocks in clear, patterned, and translucent.

1Newaygo

Reaction score
Again Thanks, as I been a little reluctant to hire any "Contractors" as a Family Member is in the same situation with remodeling a 5 x7 Bathroom and they were given a Estimate nothing as to replumbing or any electrical just tile, window & tub $30K. This is why I am doing some of the Demo removing some of the walls / plaster. I only paid $48K for my house so soaking 30K for maybe half of the bathroom not including old galvanize drain and water pipes, I doubt I can get that back when I sell. But needs to get done. Plus Lead Paint walls remove added costs... Looks like I might have see what I can do and then hire someone for the things that Need to need to be replaced. Still looking bit Contractors are all busy & hard to find one a decent 1!
Appreciate the Information . Looks like a Fiberglass Window would be the Best Material!
1Newaygo

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
For my bath remodel, the contractor used a window replacement by Pella. It's all vinyl and made extremely well. With cold MI winters, condensation will be apparent on most windows.
I had the same contractor that did our kitchen remodel do the master bath. About five years after the kitchen, the bathroom was double the cost of the kitchen. I remodeled our main bath. I hired a plumber and tiler. Bought all the materials, cabinets fixtures, sinks, tubs, toilet, lighting, etc. and it still cost over $12,000. About $5K was for laborin a 5x10 bathroom.

1Newaygo

Reaction score
Thanks for the Suggestion of a Tile Forum But Can't Register as Making Out the Verification Code String NEVER Allows me to Register spent 20 Minutes over and over having to Reenter Password and a New String and I Enlarge the "Image" and what I Can See I Enter and It tells me It is Wrong. Oh Well Moving On time wasted!
Guess I will just make a Mess trying to do the tile myself and that will be bad as I am not anything much with "Tile".
1Newaygo

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
www.johnbridge.com was recently updating their forum software, so that could have been the source of your problems creating an account...I'd try again, as it seems to be stable again now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks