What did you do today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What did you do today? With our community of users it's always nice to catch up with each other. This might be a nice place to share those things.

So what did Terry Love do today? Ordered a couple Phister lav faucets and TOTO lavs to go with. The lavs were a tough find.
Also started they day doing a blood draw for my medical chart. Fun stuff.
Oh, and also ordered a timer for my fan in the main bathroom. The timer I have now sticks, and going into the Fall and Winter, I think I don't really need 110 CFM being pumped to the outdoors 24/7

Also talked to my brother in Hoquiam yesterday, and heard his story about his plugged kitchen drain. Apparently he receives 5 pound bags of veggies very often, and needing to clean up and dispose of them as they were showing some age, decided to dump about ten pounds worth down the new disposer I installed for him this Summer.
So he wound up calling Elway Plumbing in Aberdeen, (yes, related to the John Elway that played football) to snake the drain.
Clare, maybe next time walk those things out to the trash container outside and let them be disposed of that way. :)

Last edited:

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Took the kids for a 2KM run (they keep me young). They have their “big race” on Saturday … youth running is quite competitive here … 70 kids in U10 last time. Then went to see Black Adam with a friend … I really liked it.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sweat copper pipe all damn day. Set a penal urinal (stainless steel, really tough go of it) Then came home to a screaming boy, broke up some fights with him and his cousins, ate dinner, now watching a show with my lady. About the same tomorrow.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Getting ready for a trip to San Diego , RV maintenance , Busy communicating with 3 sisters and a brother regarding Issues with our Mom . Enjoying beautiful weather .

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Sweat copper pipe all damn day. Set a penal urinal (stainless steel, really tough go of it) Then came home to a screaming boy, broke up some fights with him and his cousins, ate dinner, now watching a show with my lady. About the same tomorrow.
If you press copper joints all day, you might end up with a smile on your face instead.
I am here to say, that with my Milwaukee 12V tubing cutters and ProPressing, water supply work was a sheer delight. Fast, clean, flux free and shiny too.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Tv, Heart doc, powerball ticket, chat with with my broker and seagrams vo. If i win 700m with my $2 ticket im going to the airport leaving everything behind!!!!
Friend of my dad took a heart attack a number of years ago … pain was so great he downed a pint of rum. Dr. says it saved his life. Moral of the story … nothing wrong with a little Seagram’s in the evening ;)

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you press copper joints all day, you might end up with a smile on your face instead.
I am here to say, that with my Milwaukee 12V tubing cutters and ProPressing, water supply work was a sheer delight. Fast, clean, flux free and shiny too.
Those don't cut 2"or 1.5". But I have one and use it daily.

Pro press I don't think pays off with all of the oddball tees we are using. The helper cleans and preps. I measure, math, and sweat.

We are using pro press intermittently. Mostly fittings that have been left over from other jobs, that would sit and rot otherwise.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yesterday I serviced a Neorest in a nice home overlooking the Puget Sound. They have a Grumpy Cat that I took a selfie with like I do with most of my clients pets.
20221025_090805 Grumpy Cat.jpg

Then we had an emergency from a contractor client who had water dumping from their ceiling in the morning from the existing bathroom. Long story short, the existing plumbing had a clog in the sewer. Got that cleared and solved that problem. Fortunately we connected to a different sewer line when we did our work.. and good for us, we hadn't touched any of their upstairs plumbing! No liability for that ceiling!

Then I had a client meeting that I was now late for and covered in drywall paste, but fortunately had a change of shirt at least to look somewhat presentable. Super simple job of replacing a couple lav faucets and crinkle stops on 2 bathrooms.

Back to the office around 3pm to write up some estimates and emails before Ozimandias my office dog started freaking out to leave. He otherwise sleeps ALL day long at the office, but 3pm rolls around and we Must Go!!!

We then spent the next 2.5 hours at the dog park in the rain and cold doing dog park stuff.. most of our dog park friends didn't show up due to the rain, but Ozi's step counter was still clocking 7-10k steps per hour

20221013_172406 Ozi.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Friday a scan at Evergreen to see how my lower part is doing. You can see the tubing that I use for flushing that area. Though that fell out today, so I guess that's another visit to have one put back in. Trying to keep infections at bay.

terry-2022-10-28.jpg

On Thursday my son Jamie installed a new Kohler Simplice K-596-VS kitchen faucet for me. The Moen that I had was getting stiff and didn't like rotating side to side anymore.

k-596-vs-terrylove-02.jpg

faucet-jamie.jpg

I think today my kids might be coming by to do a dump run with my Chevy cube van.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
The kids had their “Big Race” yesterday and ran very well. Then they announced there was a “Parent Run”. The girls talked me into it. Of course … I am competitive … so I ran balls to the wall … did the 1500 in 6:35 (way way back from the leaders) … not having done any training except practice runs with the girls, I will take it. Paying the price today tho :)

Suceress

Reaction score
Things have been crazy around here. I injured my right rotator cuff almost a year ago and it took several months to heal. About a month ago I injured my left one & it's still giving me grief. Just talked to my doctor recently and he recommended some exercises but I don't have much range of motion with it and its giving me trouble sleeping. It's hurting all the way through my collarbone and down to my elbow and radiating down to my wrist at times. I've tried arthritis cream and naproxyn but they don't help much. I'll keep doing the exercises and trying to take it easy on that arm.

I have a lot of cleaning to do that I didn't get done because in between rotator cuff injuries I injured my back. it's doing better at least.

My brother is very ill with bronchitis-- almost developed pneumonia. He has COPD so respiratory crud hits him hard. Recently lost one of our kitties to some kind of infection that spread to his brain. He was only 2yrs old. He'd been fighting with other cats a lot. So, I'm down to just 14 cats.

I'm an at-home caregiver for my disabled mother so I mostly clean, cook, do grocery shopping, pick up mail, get repairs done, & drive people to doctor's appointments. Today was grocery shopping, mail pickup (post office will not delivery out here), and changing HVAC filter. I'll have to cook later.

The sky is gray and we're expecting rain.

Hope everyone else is having a good day.

Suceress

Reaction score
Yesterday I took both my mother and brother for doctor appointments at different times. Mom is doing well- bloodwork & heart function all good (better than mine). Brother is still recovering but is cleared to return to work.

I had to deal with some phonecalls to sort out some things-- trying to get AC repair out and had to talk to someone at honda dealership about getting some work done on the truck. Bought a navigation dvd online & it didn't work & the dealer confirmed the dvd is bad but seller is claiming is the navigation system. Dealership says otherwise and the old dvd still works.

Arm/shoulder is doing worse bc I kept bumping it into things & I got zapped pretty good by a cracked induction cooktop. Couldn't move my arm for 5min.

I plan to do some light cleaning that mostly involves my right arm & take it easy on the left.

Also trying to decide on how to go about installing new surround on my tub, how to clean the tub up, and patch a big scrape in the porcelain- about 3" long- exposing the cast iron.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
w surround on my tub, how to clean the tub up, and patch a big scrape in the porcelain- about 3" long- exposing the cast iron.
My brother and law re-glazed his tub (i.e. painted it with fancy paint). He was pleased with the results. My understanding is that this is not a long term fix ... you would probably have to do it again in 5 years.

You can also get this done professionally, but it would cost more. It may also last longer.

If you just want to do the spot, you can get Porc-A-Fix porcelain touch up paint kits.

Suceress

Reaction score
My brother and law re-glazed his tub (i.e. painted it with fancy paint). He was pleased with the results. My understanding is that this is not a long term fix ... you would probably have to do it again in 5 years.

You can also get this done professionally, but it would cost more. It may also last longer.

If you just want to do the spot, you can get Porc-A-Fix porcelain touch up paint kits.
I've seen how the reglazing turns out and decided against it. Especially since I'm a total uncoordinated monkey. I'm planning to use one of the little repair/patch kits. Even if its not a perfect match to the existing tub color, it will be better than exposed black cast iron. Things that only last 5 years in other homes would last less in mine with the hard water & my bad luck.

Right now the tub has hard water stains (mostly iron) so I'm going to try vinegar & baking soda-- which was how I cleaned my sink. I'm thinking this time I can put saran wrap over the area to keep the vinegar from evaporating too quickly. I saw that technique work on some youtube videos.

I'm going to look up the porc-a-fix stuff. Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
On Tuesday of last week, did Karaoke at the VFW, looked at the video of me singing "All My Loving", a Beatles song, noticed that I was limping. Not something I normally do. The next morning I went outside to bring in my newspaper, my sandal caught on the steps and I launched full force forward, banging my head against my front door. A nice 3" cut on the top of my head. That night my brother James Packard Love dropped in on his way from Europe on his way to his home in Arlington Virginia. My kids were real good about picking up sheets, blankets and pillows for my spare bedroom so guests can drop in and visit.

Thursday morning, went to my NUCCA chiropractor, which gave my brother Jamie a chance to see things I do for myself. One leg was a 1/2" short, a simple C1 adjustment and now both legs are even. The C1 is the top vertebra. Adjust that and everything below it lines up.

After that, lunch at Blue Water Bistro in Leschi, meeting up with family members, on the water looking over at the high rises of Bellevue across from us in Lake Washington.
Thursday night football, more coming over to my home to watch. Lot's to eat for sure.

Saturday, I took my brother Jamie to my hand chiropractor in Bothell, Corner on Wellness, to make sure my wrists were at full strength. Quick little adjustments to regain full strength in my arms.

james-love-2022-12-15.jpg

James Packard Love

spare-bedroom.jpg

bellevue-from-leschi.jpg

The city of Bellevue from Leschi in Seattle.

Last edited:

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
Threw some moose sausage on the BBQ tonight. Love when the father in law comes bearing gifts :)

Oh … and happy tipsy eve.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks