what closet bolts do the professionals use?

Users who are viewing this thread

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Going a tad deeper into Acorn nuts.. They're a form of Cap nut. - I didn't know this previously, just googled it out of curiosity.

"Acorn cap nuts have more internal depth, which enables you to thread the bolt further into the nut without touching the cap. With cap nuts, the bolt's external threads touch the cap. If the application involves vibration, this can lead to excessive wear."

IMO the idea of a cap nut is to prevent debris from getting in the threads and in the case of a toilet, if you weren't using the china caps, would be to make it look more finished.

Sioux Chief calls the nuts that are domed shape but have a hole in the top, Acorn nuts in their description.

Have anyone used these? I saw them at the supply house the other day.

If your asking if anyone has used the fast set, yes I have. I won't use them anymore. One guy I work with only uses them.

You'll find that they won't work in some situations. I prefer to nut the bolt to the flange. The fast set can bottom out on their sleeve.

GReynolds929

Reaction score
Going a tad deeper into Acorn nuts.. They're a form of Cap nut. - I didn't know this previously, just googled it out of curiosity.

"Acorn cap nuts have more internal depth, which enables you to thread the bolt further into the nut without touching the cap. With cap nuts, the bolt's external threads touch the cap. If the application involves vibration, this can lead to excessive wear."

IMO the idea of a cap nut is to prevent debris from getting in the threads and in the case of a toilet, if you weren't using the china caps, would be to make it look more finished.

Sioux Chief calls the nuts that are domed shape but have a hole in the top, Acorn nuts in their description.

Have anyone used these? I saw them at the supply house the other day.

I have a set on my van, but haven't used them yet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks