what closet bolts do the professionals use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Murphysf

Reaction score
Hi

What are the go to closet bolts that the pros use. I have a couple of supply houses near me, I think they both sell Pasco.

Should I get Brass or marine grade 305 stainless steel?

Will I be able to hacksaw off the excess on both the brass and 305 SS?

I am also thinking getting the ones that have the two speed nuts

so either Pasco part #30 or #30-SS

see pages of 20-21 (B5-B6) of the pdf of the Pasco catalog
chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.pascospecialty.com/catalog/PASCO_catalog.pdf

Thanks!!

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
It can be challenging at sum suppliers to get but I say only: brass 1/4" bolts and brass or (any) stainless nuts and washers. Always two sets of nuts and washers, so you can anchor the bolts to the flange first.
30-SS is the ideal pack since all they're all SS.

Murphysf

Reaction score
It can be challenging at sum suppliers to get but I say only: brass 1/4" bolts and brass or (any) stainless nuts and washers. Always two sets of nuts and washers, so you can anchor the bolts to the flange first.
30-SS is the ideal pack since all they're all SS.
Thanks for the message.

You first say only brass then you mention SS being ideal?

I believe Standard in Coma has them.

Eman85

Reaction score
I'm no professional. I just set my toilet with brass bolts and stainless nuts bought on Amazon. every toilet and rings come with brass plated steel that I didn't want to use.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
5/16" bolts with 4 nuts and 4 washers.

Some people swear by quickset bolts, but I think they are junk.

Murphysf

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
An advantage of 1/4 inch vs 5/16 is they give a tiny bit more adjusting/cheating/sliding/fudging of the bowl in the way you want it to go.

Acorn nuts would not be compatible with what you could have seen in that Youtube video.

Murphysf

Reaction score
An advantage of 1/4 inch vs 5/16 is they give a tiny bit more adjusting/cheating/sliding/fudging of the bowl in the way you want it to go.

Acorn nuts would not be compatible with what you could have seen in that Youtube video.
thanks!!!

what if any is the downside to acorn nuts?

Reach4

Reaction score
thanks!!!

what if any is the downside to acorn nuts?
I think you then have to cut the bolt, without buggering up the threads, before putting the nut on.
25-pcs-3mm-acorn-nut.jpg

Last edited:

Murphysf

Reaction score
HI I ended up suing the pasco 30 all went well.

the toilet is ina really narrow room and unless you lean to the side you cannot see the bolts, should I leave them long and exposed, or should I cut them off and put the white plastic caps on?

Murphysf

Reaction score
I think you then have to cut the bolt, without buggering up the threads, before putting the nut on.
25-pcs-3mm-acorn-nut.jpg
i just revisited this thread and don't seem to understand why one would need to cut the bolt first when using acorn nuts. What is unique about acorn nuts that the bolts can't be cut after like regular nuts? Thanks.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Acron nuts are typically capped off on the top which doesn't allow the bolt to pass through so you have to be accurate with your cut. Too low and you cant' thread them on or too high and the bolt will bust through the top of the bolt.. Most toilet bolt kits come with a similarly shaped nut that does allow the bolt to pass through.

I always apply the china caps to my toilets so they look clean.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hell no to blind hole acorn nuts you want nuts that the whole goes all the way through . You can use something like that setting the old school bidets the studs that come with them have lagscrew on one end and male threads other those typ0e studs but those nuts make a normal toilet install a PIA. Those lags are good for old 4 bolt toilet for the front hold downs .
Maybe acorn nuts refers to the nuts without a through hole I dont know but I dont think those are a good choice except for how I mentioned

Murphysf

Reaction score
got it , the bolt set I shared had acorn nuts with holes that go all the way through, that is why I wasn't sure why Reach4 said they would not be compatible. Perhaps he just read the title of the link I had and didn't click on it to see that the nuts had holes that went all the way through.

Thanks for confirming, I thought there was another reason.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
brass bolts , stainless or brass nuts and washers are good , just watch out for brass plated I hate those. I use 1/4 , some use 5/16 I cant argue a 5/16 isnt better but I have no issues with 1/4

Reach4

Reaction score
got it , the bolt set I shared had acorn nuts with holes that go all the way through, that is why I wasn't sure why Reach4 said they would not be compatible. Perhaps he just read the title of the link I had and didn't click on it to see that the nuts had holes that went all the way through.
acorn nuts with holes that go all the way through would be an oxymoron to my way of thinking.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Going a tad deeper into Acorn nuts.. They're a form of Cap nut. - I didn't know this previously, just googled it out of curiosity.

"Acorn cap nuts have more internal depth, which enables you to thread the bolt further into the nut without touching the cap. With cap nuts, the bolt's external threads touch the cap. If the application involves vibration, this can lead to excessive wear."

IMO the idea of a cap nut is to prevent debris from getting in the threads and in the case of a toilet, if you weren't using the china caps, would be to make it look more finished.

Sioux Chief calls the nuts that are domed shape but have a hole in the top, Acorn nuts in their description.

Have anyone used these? I saw them at the supply house the other day.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks