Wet Venting Clarifications

Which is correct.

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Timothy Witt

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for the forum, it has helped me countless times.

We have a question about wet venting. Every image in the plumbing codes we can find shows an offset toilet when wet venting. We want to know if there is any issue with connecting to a line directly underneath of the toilet. It seems like installations go out of their way to not route the upstream fixtures this way, but we can't find the reason why. Is Option 1 allowable, and if not, why? Thanks!

Edit: Assume the water closet is connected with a wye fitting, not a tee. My diagram didn't make that very clear.

Wet Venting.jpg

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can't drop a toilet into a santee on it's back. The poop goes goes upstream and plugs the uphill line.
You are way better off installing a 90 below the toilet and then bringing that into a wye that directs the poop down the line. If you have ever pulled a toilet that was dropping into a santee, it would disgust you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks