Well stopped pumping 2 days ago, I need help......

Users who are viewing this thread

FishinFirefighter

Reaction score
Also it was the original pump set down there, when the company pulled it up in 2013 they replaced the box and spliced a wire repair about 15' down we found out when we pulled it all up.

To be fair, the well guy was not a dirtbag or a jerk...Im just a cheap ass and Im not used to having to pay this kind of money for things I usually can do myself. And Im DEFINITELY not used to paying that kind of money over retail, MSRP or whatever you want to call it for parts either way.

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Also it was the original pump set down there, when the company pulled it up in 2013 they replaced the box and spliced a wire repair about 15' down we found out when we pulled it all up.

To be fair, the well guy was not a dirtbag or a jerk...Im just a cheap ass and Im not used to having to pay this kind of money for things I usually can do myself. And Im DEFINITELY not used to paying that kind of money over retail, MSRP or whatever you want to call it for parts either way.

Was it on steel pipe? If so it's defiantly not the type of thing you can do yourself. In my area, a few years back a couple of irrigation guys lost hands trying to pull a steel system. Keeping all your limbs is a worthwhile investment.

I think your problem with price is you are equating prices you see online as retail prices. Online prices on pumps are often the companies installers buy their pumps from. They are back door-ing them into the market. Sometimes they are even selling them at a loss so they can meet the minimum contract with the manufacturer ie if they don't buy 2million dollars a year in pumps the manufacturer won't sell to them so if they are at 1.9mil in purchases they will dump prices to keep the contract. Some manufacturers crack down on it, most don't care so long as they are buying. If there is a problem with anything you buy online no ones going to support it. Personally I won't even install anything I'm not supplying. Every pump has a Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price. It's usually about double what the cheapest online listing is.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Was it on steel pipe? If so it's defiantly not the type of thing you can do yourself. In my area, a few years back a couple of irrigation guys lost hands trying to pull a steel system. Keeping all your limbs is a worthwhile investment.

I think your problem with price is you are equating prices you see online as retail prices. Online prices on pumps are often the companies installers buy their pumps from. They are back door-ing them into the market. Sometimes they are even selling them at a loss so they can meet the minimum contract with the manufacturer ie if they don't buy 2million dollars a year in pumps the manufacturer won't sell to them so if they are at 1.9mil in purchases they will dump prices to keep the contract. Some manufacturers crack down on it, most don't care so long as they are buying. If there is a problem with anything you buy online no ones going to support it. Personally I won't even install anything I'm not supplying. Every pump has a Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price. It's usually about double what the cheapest online listing is.

There was a local pump guy who had his hand severed, then reattached. He finished his career doing pump work...

Most fail to realize that they pay a larger markup percentage wise on a loaf of bread.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is very normal for a pump installer to charge 3 times the cost of the equipment. They may markup the product, charge for labor and hours, or both to get the price they need. That may sound like a lot of profit, but at the end of the year they are lucky to net 6-8% total. Pump installers have a lot of overhead. You wouldn't believe how much those hoist trucks cost, or how much it takes to operate and maintain them. Then there is the labor and insurance for a helper, business overhead and insurance, fees, licenses, etc.

You are really not paying a pump installer for what he sells or does, you are paying for what he knows. Knowing which pump, pipe, wire, controls, and fittings are best, and the depth and size of pump to set in your area are very important. But the little things like how to make the splice and what kind of tape to use and where can make big difference on how long your pump system last.

I have said many times that if you have a good pump installer, he is worth whatever he ask. The problem is that there are very very few good installers left. And if you don't have a really good installer, you at least need to educate yourself on the best way to do things, and you might be better off doing the complete pump install yourself. An installer who is just a parts changer, can cost you more than if you do it yourself. An installer that really knows what he is doing is worth his weigh in gold.

PumpMd

Kevin
Reaction score
If you tried that price in our area, it would leave you with no job! Competition in your area makes a big difference and other places like the internet,lowes,home depot, and tractor supply make it harder for them to try and get 3 times over cost but they should get more money for their better products because those cheaper places people go to, sell cheap quality products that doesn't last as long. You get a 5yr warranty when installed by a professional with labor warranty. When you have questions about one of the products you bought at these cheaper places, who do you call for information? the place you bought your cheaper products from or a Professional Pump Installer?

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Forget the price and think about the service.

Joe homeowner buys a junk pump at Blowes or Homeless Depot, the thing dies on Christmas Day, you think the big box store is gonna come change it? F no!

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Could not have said it better myself. Heck, by the time I account for the money in inventory and then backfilling inventory sometimes I feel like I make no money on any pump.

You are really not paying a pump installer for what he sells or does, you are paying for what he knows. Knowing which pump, pipe, wire, controls, and fittings are best, and the depth and size of pump to set in your area are very important. But the little things like how to make the splice and what kind of tape to use and where can make big difference on how long your pump system last.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you tried that price in our area, it would leave you with no job! Competition in your area makes a big difference

I agree. We have never been able to charge that kind of price in my area either. But the reason there is so much competition here is because we have so much business. The guys that charge those high prices probably have to make their living from 1 or 2 jobs a week. We can get multiple jobs everyday. I use to do maybe 2000 jobs a year, and in some areas people don’t get 2000 jobs in their lifetime.

Forget the price and think about the service. Joe homeowner buys a junk pump at Blowes or Homeless Depot, the thing dies on Christmas Day, you think the big box store is gonna come change it? F no!

Pumps always seem to die on Christmas day, or some other holiday, as that is when people are home and using water the most. But I can’t say that I was every very good at those kinds of service calls. When we get a hard freeze or something, I might have 20+ messages on the answering machine when I get to work. I am only going to be able to get to a few of those that day. Everybody else is going to be mad and out of water unless they can DIY. And you are assuming that the local pump installer knows what he is doing, which usually is not the case. Of the thousands of pump installers I talk to, I would venture to say that less than 5% of them actually know more than the home owner they are working for. Christmas eve or not, if the pump installer doesn’t know basic things about pumps, homeowners are better off doing it themselves. At the very least they should research the problem and educate themselves so they can keep the installer from pulling the wool over their eyes.

Could not have said it better myself. Heck, by the time I account for the money in inventory and then backfilling inventory sometimes I feel like I make no money on any pump.

I agree with this also. Even selling 3-4 million dollars worth of pumps every year for many years, I am still not a rich man. 4 million in sales won’t make you rich if you have 3.9M in expenses. And that is easy to do with 18 employees, 12 trucks, backhoes, and other ancillary equipment to maintain. If you are not careful you will have 4.1M in expenses. Before I came up with Cycle Stop Valves I was in the process of downsizing. I had decided I could make more money and have more time off if I only had 1 truck and 1 or 2 employees. I just got tired of working 80 hours a weak while my employees work 44 and made more money than I did.

I know some really rich drillers and pump guys, but they didn’t get that way being honest and fair to their customers and employees.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks