Well Pump Tripping Breaker

Users who are viewing this thread

Troy K

Reaction score
Hello , so when I turn on the water everything runs fine until the submersible pump kicks on, it runs for 15 to 30 seconds and one side of the double 15 amp breaker trips. The other 15 amp breaker does not trip ever and the water will continue with same pressure for a couple minutes and then the pressure will drop. While the pump is running I can close the breaker that is tripped and it will hold for another 15 seconds or sometimes two seconds and it will trip again. Once I turn the water off I can close the breaker and most of the time it holds until the pump turns off. I have replaced the breaker with a new 15 amp double pole, I have good voltage to the pressure switch. I disconnected the wires running from the switch to the underground pump and only have a continuity tester and I touch the Black and white wire going to submersible pump and the continuity tester showed continuity. Am I supposed to I have Continuity through the pump? Any ideas what this could be? Or some advice on my next step thank you.

Reach4

Reaction score
Once I turn the water off I can close the breaker and most of the time it holds until the pump turns off. I have replaced the breaker with a new 15 amp double pole, I have good voltage to the pressure switch.
What is the remaining symptom? Does the 15 amp breaker trip?

What do you know about the pump? What is the current through one of the hot wires (use a clamp-around ammeter) when the pump is pumping water?

Am I supposed to I have Continuity through the pump?

Yes.

Troy K

Reaction score
I have no info on pump yet. I am renting the house but I wil do so fact finding. I will hv to find n my meter. Voltage was 120 and come to think of it I don’t even know if the pump is using two 15 amp breakers or not. Sorry I will get more info and thanks for replying. I do know that the breaker does not trip until I run water and I hear the pump kick on and run for 1 min or so then it trips. Once there is no demand of water ( turn all faucets off ). The breaker will hold and not trip again. The pump will fill the tank and shut off. The breaker will hold. I also remember that this didn’t start until I woke up one morning and the toilet had apparently been running all night

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If it was a 220v pump the breaker would be double spaced in the panel or for very old panels, two breakers would be tied together with a pin. If one leg was lost the pump shouldn't be running. Can you post a picture of the wiring to the well pump. The number and colors can indicate what type of pump.

Is there a pump controller wall mounted with wires going to the pump? What indication tells you the pump is running? Have you tried turning off the other breaker to see what happens? You could have a 120v pump.

Is there a spigot before the pressure tank so you can connect a garden hose. If yes and it is possible to close a valve to the pressure tank and home, run the pump with the garden hose only. If it trips the motor is bad. You can try swapping the breaker and check again.

If there is a wall mount pump controller, they have a run/start capacitors. A bad run cap at the controller or built into the pump can be causing the issue.

A clamp meter is definitely needed to measure current. It's rare but I once had a breaker go bad where it would pre trip under any load.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Voltage was 120 and come to think of it I don’t even know if the pump is using two 15 amp breakers or not.
You measure voltage between the two power wires going to the pump. If there are wires on all 4 terminals of the pressure switch, you usually can measure that between terminals 1 and 4. What is that voltage?
Hello , so when I turn on the water everything runs fine until the submersible pump kicks on, it runs for 15 to 30 seconds and one side of the double 15 amp breaker trips. The other 15 amp breaker does not trip ever and the water will continue with same pressure for a couple minutes and then the pressure will drop. While the pump is running I can close the breaker that is tripped and it will hold for another 15 seconds or sometimes two seconds and it will trip again.
Was this breaker-tripping a change from when you moved in, or was it like this to begin with?

How many ohms do you read when you read continuity?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks