Well pump tripping during regeneration

Users who are viewing this thread

Mcnatey

Reaction score
The circuit breaker on my well pump is tripping during the regeneration cycle of my water softener. This is a constant pressure system. Any idea what’s going on here?

Recently, I discovered a crack in the line from my well to my house and that was repaired. Since then, the breaker has been tripping. It didn’t trip previously.

Reach4

Reaction score
By breaker, do you mean the AC power circuit breaker? Or is it maybe some trip-out in the electronics for the "constant pressure system"?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Is the water softener on the same breaker? Usually not but do need to check it out. A simple way is shut the breaker off for the well pump then check if the softener still has power.

Mcnatey

Reaction score
By breaker, do you mean the AC power circuit breaker? Or is it maybe some trip-out in the electronics for the "constant pressure system"?
I mean the circuit breaker. Not something on the constant pressure system/well pump

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Tripping a breaker usually means a short. Those "constant pressure" systems that use a Variable Frequency Drive or VFD will cause a 230V motor to operate on peak voltages of over 1000V. Degradation of the 600V insulation in the motor and wires starts the first time you turn on a VFD. A short is pretty much a given, it is just a matter of when.

But some VFD's like the Pentair PID do not even keep the pump running continuously and can cause a quick cycle when using a large flow rate like when backwashing. That might also cause a breaker to trip.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks