Well pump issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Motors/pumps are made to run 24/7/365. I have one that hasn't shut off in over 18 years so far. Some wells clean up in a few hours, some take days. Sometimes you have to turn the pump off for a short while and turn it on again to stir up the sediment to get it out.

OH and BTW, NEVER shut a pump off while it is making lots of sediment. It may bind up and not start the next time. Let it clean up as much as possible before turning it off.

I have 2 freezers, first thing I do is remove the temperature probe so they have been running 24/7/365 for over 20 years now. -10F and quiet as a kitten. Like your pump, most don't understand that at all. Very large piston air compressors are often run continuously with an unloader valve, but that is an expensive dodge if not a large industry running non stop.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
So, after all these years of that brand new pump and motor sitting at the bottom of the well doing nothing... I finally called an outfit to help me. The issue was limestone sediment was clogging the well pipes. Of course the check valve wasn't working, it was jammed full of debris. I should've known better. But alas, I am not a well man.

So this time I sent the pump down on a solid 500' pipe. Tons of water and pressure now! Now I have to flush it out. The water is filled with a sandy grit. I can pump it out and discharge down my back hill. How long before any improvement? I've heard 24 hours. If so, how long can the motor safely run in one shot? Thanks for any advice.

Out of curiosity, what did you do for water for 3 years?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks