Non submersible pump for driven well

Users who are viewing this thread

muddtree

Reaction score
I have a 1.25" steel pipe driven 15ft with a static water level at 6ft below. So the pipe is about 9ft below the water table

I installed a 3/4 PVC pipe with a foot valve at the bottom. I topped of the PVC pipe with water and then I tried to attach a drummond 1/8 hp transfer pump. It did not successfully pull any water.

My questions are:
Did I do something wrong with the install or
Do I have the wrong pump

Thank you

1000001710.png

muddtree

Reaction score
Call HF pump max lift 6' after it's primed and with a foot valve won't not do that.
Before tying in the rest of the irrigation to the pump, I topped off the PVC pipe resting in the well. So it's really only a couple ft to water at start up. Why did it not pull any water?

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the specs don't state the maximum static suction lift but I assume it is less than your 6ft.

Also, it might not be able to overcome the force of the spring in the foot valve. Try it without (but you'll need to find a way to not lose prime)

muddtree

Reaction score
Unfortunately, the specs don't state the maximum static suction lift but I assume it is less than your 6ft.

Also, it might not be able to overcome the force of the spring in the foot valve. Try it without (but you'll need to find a way to not lose prime)
Sounds like my time is better spent finding a different pump

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are saying that you drove a pipe with a sand point, and put the PVC with foot valve down the hole.

That would be a pretty small foot valve. How does it attach to the PVC?

1 inch PVC is 1.315 OD without any fittings on it. Maybe your pipe is 1.05 inch OD?

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing about the foot valve inside the 1.5" pipe.

I also assumed a sand point but maybe it's just an open-ended pipe?

I also assumed the pipe filled with water to the 6ft mark and the recovery is pretty good. In other words, we are assuming there is water in the pipe to actually pump. The pipe itself won't hold a lot of water so your recovery rate would need to be pretty fast.

To the OP, if you fill your pipe with water, does it drop quickly to the 6ft mark?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Before tying in the rest of the irrigation to the pump, I topped off the PVC pipe resting in the well. So it's really only a couple ft to water at start up. Why did it not pull any water?
Irrigation? Yeah that pump won't do that. 40' of head sounds like a lot but is only 17 PSI at no flow. Might pump a little water at maybe 10 PSI, but it won't lift anything. You need a shallow well jet pump, but I am not sure you have enough water to make it work.

PK1A Jet Pump with Foot Valve.jpg

muddtree

Reaction score
I think you are saying that you drove a pipe with a sand point, and put the PVC with foot valve down the hole.

That would be a pretty small foot valve. How does it attach to the PVC?

1 inch PVC is 1.315 OD without any fittings on it. Maybe your pipe is 1.05 inch OD?
3/4" PVC inside 11/4 sandpoint

muddtree

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing about the foot valve inside the 1.5" pipe.

I also assumed a sand point but maybe it's just an open-ended pipe?

I also assumed the pipe filled with water to the 6ft mark and the recovery is pretty good. In other words, we are assuming there is water in the pipe to actually pump. The pipe itself won't hold a lot of water so your recovery rate would need to be pretty fast.

To the OP, if you fill your pipe with water, does it drop quickly to the 6ft mark?
Water didn't drop it has a foot valve

Chucky_ott

Reaction score
I meant in the 1.25" pipe with the sandpoint. If the water level drops, it would be in indication that the soil is permeable enough to also let water in.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks