Well Head Spigot Has Me Stumped

Users who are viewing this thread

AaronB

Reaction score
Oh, so you made your own Sulfur Eliminator. I think you might want to filter that misting water as adding the air makes stuff come out of solution. The less water you can use to mist, the fewer times your pump will cycle.

I did and I plan on adding a filter. I didn't want to just come out and say that. Didn't want to stir anything up on this mesaage board....

Reach4

Reaction score
I did and I plan on adding a filter. I didn't want to just come out and say that. Didn't want to stir anything up on this mesaage board....
If you were thinking of putting the filter before the pressure switch, that would stir things up. If you proposed to put a filter on your 2 gpm flow, no controversy there.

If you put a sediment filter after the pressure switch and pressure tank, good move. Make it big enough.

AaronB

Reaction score
Glad to know the idea works. What kind of mister are you using?

I think the filter only filters the 2 gallons per hour that goes back down the well.

Correct. The sulphur eliminator only filters the water from the well head spigot to the misting nozzle.

I am using a little blue 2gph nozzle with 1/8 male NPT threads that I got at our local Co-op. Chicken houses are big here and they use them to keep birds cool in summer. I threaded that into a 1/4 NPT coupler then a piece of 1/4 brass pipe threaded into a 1/4 female to 1/2 male which screws to a normal braided stainless faucet hose adapted to hose thread at the spigot. Sounds janky but looks okay. The only thing I need to do is take the first 1/4 to 1/4 coupler out and turn it down so it fits all the way through the well seal hole instead of just sitting in it. I looked for a 'skinny' coupler but no luck. I didn't look too hard though. I know older carbureted engines often used a fitting like that at the carb.

What I wanted was a long skinny brass mister nozzle in 1gph or 2 gph but couldn't source it and I looked VERY hard for that and I know for a fact they are made but the only place I found it wanted $125 for it and 20 bucks worth of fittings to do the same thing I did for a lot less than that and they categorically wouldn't sell me the nozzle. I even offered to pay them to tell me the part info, LOL, which they saw right through. So I did it my way and time will tell if it holds up. The plastic nozzle I used was cheap cheap and can be changed in minutes so I'm confident.

Last edited:

AaronB

Reaction score
If you put a sediment filter after the pressure switch and pressure tank, good move. Make it big enough.

I have had them in for quite a while. I have a 20 Mic on everything and a 5 Mic before the new 50g HPWH I put in a few months ago which, by the way, is absolutely fantastic. Quiet, super cheap to run, and handles our family of 3 just fine.

Reach4

Reaction score
to 1/2 male which screws to a normal braided stainless faucet hose adapted to hose thread at the spigot. Sounds janky but looks okay. The only thing I need to do is take the first 1/4 to 1/4 coupler out and turn it down so it fits all the way through the well seal hole instead of just sitting in it. I looked for a 'skinny' coupler but no luck. I didn't look too hard though.
How about running a 1/8 NPT tap into the end of a 1/4 inch brass nipple?

Reach4

Reaction score
I was also wondering about tapping into some 3/8 OD soft copper. Type K is thicker. Could swage it some.

AaronB

Reaction score
I was also wondering about tapping into some 3/8 OD soft copper. Type K is thicker. Could swage it some.

Either way. That's a whole avenue I never considered. Definitely what I'll do. Just tap the ID of anything that'll fit. Perfect.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks