Water for second dwelling unit

Users who are viewing this thread

audaxone

Reaction score
I live in Ontario, Canada, and have a well that pumps about 4gpm. My pressure tank (80gal) is adequate for the needs of our house.

However, I am adding a small second dwelling unit (with kitchenette, bathroom, shower, and potential laundry) and I am concerned about losing water pressure and volume at the house when the second unit uses water.

Should I add a bigger pressure tank at the house, add a second pressure tank, or some other option?

Reach4

Reaction score
Same altitude for both?

Are you looking to give the house priority?

Is the pump submersible (down the well)?

A second pressure tank at the house is not going to help. What if the tank is almost empty, and the pressure is just above the turn-on pressure when both housed decide to fill the tub?

I would not like to have to add an atmospheric tank with a separate pressure pump, but that would take care of worst-case scenarios.

Last edited:

audaxone

Reaction score
Yes, same altitude. Second dwelling unit is about 50ft from the house.

Yes, the house would have priority.

Yes, the pump is submersible.

No tub in the second unit, only sink and shower for now. Potentially laundry in the future. It is never going to use a lot of water. I was thinking a little more volume would smooth out same time use issues.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
An 80 gallon pressure tank only holds 20 gallons of water. But that is still large enough to keep a 4 GPM pump from cycling too much, even when supplying two houses. But the 4 GPM pump is not enough for 2 houses. You can either switch to a 10 GPM pump in the well or use the 4 GPM pump to fill a cistern, then you can supply multiple houses with the booster pump in the cistern.
Cistern with sub and PK1A.jpg
Jet pump from cistern new.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, same altitude. Second dwelling unit is about 50ft from the house.

Yes, the house would have priority.
It seems to me that you could have a solenoid valve that sends water to the second house when the pressure in the first house is above say 35 PSI. Then use a 40/60 pressure switch to control the pump.

A pressure tank in the second house, fed via a check valve, could perhaps hide some outages.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks