Solenoid valve on water supply lines and ejector pump system

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeySchaefer

Reaction score
Firstly, wanted to say thanks to the TerryLove forum for all the help over the years. I’ve never had to post a question as all of my questions have been answered via previous threads. I’ve DIY remodeled 3 houses over the last 4 years and without the forum I would surely have been stumped numerous times.

So here is a scenario that I can't seem to find any info on. I have a 2 unit duplex I am working on where the sewer tie in from one unit happens in the basement of the other unit (originally a single family home added on to and then remodeled in to a duplex probably before I was born...) Not a big deal obviously, but I will have to add a sewage basin and ejector pump before the tie in. The kitchen and bathroom were moved and it wasn’t possible to maintain enough of a slope to tie in without a pump. (Even before this remodel there wasn’t an adequate slope). Again no big deal to use an ejector pump normally but the duplex is a rental and over the years I’ve generally found tenants to just be bit clueless and so I need to build a system for the lowest common denominator. My concern with the ejector pump comes during a power outage or a failed pump. I’m going to have a battery backup for the pump which should be adequate for the average length of power outages we see in the area (less than 24hrs).

I’m more concerned with a failed pump so I will have an alarm on the pump, but since the ejector pump isn’t located in the unit it might be hard to hear. So I was contemplating adding a solenoid valve to the water supply line that is controlled by a float switch in the basin. So if the float rises to a certain height it closes the valve and stops any chance of flooding. Am I over thinking this or making the system more complicated than it needs to be and introducing another point of failure?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Best advice first off: Use Liberty pump PRO duplex pump system. It comes with high water alarm and the duplexing control and is preplumbed from the factory.
Then talk to your wholesaler or Liberty directly. Big battery array with marine batteries for battery backup is going to be your best bet. It will be massively expensive.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks