Water Analysis Help Needed (copper leaching from pipes)

Users who are viewing this thread

RLrobinhood

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need some help. The water in my mom's house is testing high for copper and leaving blue residue on the fixtures and white clothing when she washes them. The copper is coming from the plumbing inside her house and I'm terrified she wills start developing leaks. My mom's house is on a well and has black poly going from the well to the house. Once inside the house, everything is copper. House is about 20 years old and this issue has always been there.

I've tested water at the well and there are no copper issues. But once it is inside the house (especially after stagnant for awhile), the copper levels are high. I've done a TON of water testing to try to narrow this down so a solution can be found. I've been unsuccessful. All the metrics comeback in the normal to reasonable range. Corrosivity is normal, which really has me baffled.

We live in a remote part of Wyoming, so access to companies that could diagnose and recommend a solution are incredibly limited. I've shipped the samples (many of them) to a lab in Billings for the results. They are great at providing the water analysis, but do not have anyone that can provide solutions or treatment solutions. The few water treatment companies I found simply say, yes, you have an issue but we don't know why or have any solutions. These are very small businesses and are more in the water softener/sink RO business than anything.

So, I guess what I'm looking for is a person or company I could connect with to help diagnose the water chemistry issue and then provide or recommend a solution. Does anyone know someone/company like this? They could literally be anywhere in the world. I have all the lab test results and information on how/where/conditions of when I took the samples.

Much appreciated!!

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The only thing I've heard of like this is, water water that has been over treated with an r.o. process. Being the r.o. process strips All of the minerals from the water, the water then leaches copper from the pipe back into the water. Being your on a well this is an unlikely issue.

More commonly you'd have hard water not water that is too soft and causing the copper pipes to leach their copper back into the water. How could your water be that soft?

RLrobinhood

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The pH is normal, total dissolved solids, corrosivity, no sand, and everything is grounded. So weird.

Is anyone familiar with a person or company that would be able to help solve this? Many thanks!

Bannerman

Reaction score
Does your lab test report indicate Corrosivity Index (not pH), ORP, and does it also specify chemical compounds present in the water?

Suggest posting the complete report.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks