Waste Line question..

Users who are viewing this thread

margo7717

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a question regarding installing a new wasteline for a new ensuite that I am building.
I am installing a new lavatory, Tiled shower and toilet. My current stack is 20 feet away from the closest fixture(being the toilet.
The layout to the ensuite is toilet, then shower along one wall and the sink will be on the adjacent wall to the shower about 2 feet from it.
My current plan is to run 1.5 inch ABS with an Inline vent above the floodline of the sink, have this pipe join a 2inch pipe between the shower and the toilet. The shower will have a 2 inch line with Ptrap that will attach the 3 inch toilet wasteline. From there the 3 inch will run to the main stack, ( I have ensured that I will have 1/4 inch drop/foot for drainage.
Does anyone see any problems with this set up, specifically with the lavatory drain connecting between the shower and toilet.
I was planning on wet venting the toilet and shower using the inline(cheater) vent that is installed for the sink..

Any advice would would welcome.

Margo :)
www.remysrenos.blogspot.com

Plumb or Die

Plumbing Instructor
Reaction score
A cheater might do in a pinch for a single sink, but IMHO venting an entire bathroom group is bad business. If you're planning on ripping the hell out of a small part of your home anyway, going the extra mile and ripping a bit of wall out to get a proper vent into your attic to tie into an existing vent is the way to go. I was shocked when the new plumbing code for my area in Canada actually allows cheater vents (air admittance valves) now, but only for island fixtures.Good luck.

margo7717

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.
I would definitely tie into the main stack if I could but unfortunately I don't have an attic, my house has vaulted ceilings with just enough space between the drywall and roof for insulation.
I don't know how I would run the new vent from one side of the house (duplex) to the other where the vent is.
Anyone have any suggestions?

margo7717

Reaction score
I have thought of that, my big concern is with the roof leaking. I am leery of cutting through the roof since it is not a typical shingle roof, it is tar and gravel. Has anyone had experience with the proper way to waterproof when you are dealing with tar and gravel??

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

Yes, tar the flashing to the roof. What you describe is doable, but that does not mean YOUR way is proper. There are many ways to install the piping you describe, but only a few ways that would pass an inspection. We would have to see a picture or diagram to really critique your plans.